Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christophax
Paper Tape
Views: 4,157
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo 3000 Y410 Hard Disk Upgrade

Hi,

I'm getting really frustrated with the not so brilliant partitioning of the disc drive and am planning to do a hard disk upgrade from the little 1XXGB to 320 or 500GB and maybe just sacrifice the slightly redundant 'Onekey recovery' function with a more decent and less worrying partition. Does anyone know if that can be done?

I am also planning to do a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate on the new drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions about hard disk drives that I can consider or any other options that I can consider? I've already tried all the 'don't install programs on C' and 'clear up shadow copies of back up' suggestions.

Thanks

Chris

My laptop details:

Windows Vista Home Premium

Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66GHz

2GB RAM

Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00 ATA Hard disk drive

alexmia
Token Ring
Views: 4,054
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo 3000 Y410 Hard Disk Upgrade

Hello,

This is easy, you'll need a new hard drive, and a windows ultimate disk 64 or 32 bit. I suggest Western Digital drives, black, blue, or green. Get them at newegg.

Actually what I'd do is keep your current drive, since you don't need much space. But buy a big Western Digital drive and a USB enclosure, for backup. Backup your data there and do a clean install.

A good rule of thumb is not to buy the latest and greatest in size drive, but go down a mark or better two. For example don't buy a 2 TB drive if that's the biggest you can get, instead go down some, not 1.5 TB, just get 1 TB.. This is because latest and greatest usually don't last as long as a little bit older.

You simply don't need Lenovo Onekey recovery. So forget about it. Just don't install it.

When installing Windows 7, you'll have to play with drivers, power manager, etc. Because your laptop might not be made for Windows 7, and Vista drivers might not be compatible with Windows 7. Also, if you choose 64-bit OS that's the same story. You might have to use drivers from another Lenovo laptop. So be prepared to play around and do several clean installations while you figure things out.

My advice is to keep your current hard drive intact, and use the new one to figure things out with Windows 7. That way if you get borred or things don't work out, you just swap hard drive and have your system. Then, back up your data on the new hard drive, and do a clean install on your old one. You have plenty of space there IMO.

-Alex

P.S. what you have to figure out is which hard drive to buy, 1.5 SATA or 3.0 SATA. Find out what your system is designed for.

christophax
Paper Tape
Views: 4,050
Message 3 of 5

@alexmia wrote:

Hello,

This is easy, you'll need a new hard drive, and a windows ultimate disk 64 or 32 bit. I suggest Western Digital drives, black, blue, or green. Get them at newegg.

Actually what I'd do is keep your current drive, since you don't need much space. But buy a big Western Digital drive and a USB enclosure, for backup. Backup your data there and do a clean install.

A good rule of thumb is not to buy the latest and greatest in size drive, but go down a mark or better two. For example don't buy a 2 TB drive if that's the biggest you can get, instead go down some, not 1.5 TB, just get 1 TB.. This is because latest and greatest usually don't last as long as a little bit older.

You simply don't need Lenovo Onekey recovery. So forget about it. Just don't install it.

When installing Windows 7, you'll have to play with drivers, power manager, etc. Because your laptop might not be made for Windows 7, and Vista drivers might not be compatible with Windows 7. Also, if you choose 64-bit OS that's the same story. You might have to use drivers from another Lenovo laptop. So be prepared to play around and do several clean installations while you figure things out.

My advice is to keep your current hard drive intact, and use the new one to figure things out with Windows 7. That way if you get borred or things don't work out, you just swap hard drive and have your system. Then, back up your data on the new hard drive, and do a clean install on your old one. You have plenty of space there IMO.

-Alex

P.S. what you have to figure out is which hard drive to buy, 1.5 SATA or 3.0 SATA. Find out what your system is designed for.

Thank you for replying me.

I'm trying to find out what my system can handle, that's why I'm asking around.

Also, I already have an external hard drive but I still feel that I need to upgrade the storage to install Windows 7 and not worry about it constantly like I am right now. I work with digital drawings as a hobby, those things do tend to fill up the second drive quite a bit...so I'm looking for an upgrade.

I have already checked and found that my Y410 can run Windows 7.

I am intrigued, are you by any chance a Y410 or Lenovo 3000 user?

alexmia
Token Ring
Views: 4,046
Message 4 of 5

I'm pretty sure it's a 1.5 SATA. Though it's best to make sure it isn't 3.0.. Remove hard drive after shutting down and removing battery, get P/N from hard drive and enter it into google search that should reveal what it is.

christophax
Paper Tape
Views: 4,042
Message 5 of 5

@alexmia wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a 1.5 SATA. Though it's best to make sure it isn't 3.0.. Remove hard drive after shutting down and removing battery, get P/N from hard drive and enter it into google search that should reveal what it is.

I don't really know what 1.5 SATA and 3.0 SATA is, all I know is that my laptop runs on a SATA 2.5"...>w< I'm really confused now. I was planning to go buy a hdd at the computer fair tomorrow...and it will be simple, but now it doesn't feel simple.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors