Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cedricko
Paper Tape
Views: 3,767
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo 3000 Y410 not starting at all

Hi Guys,

My Lenovo 3000 Y410 has completely stopped working yesterday. I have no idea what to do next. It was purchased exactly 6 months ago.

I removed the battery and placed it back again correctly, still wouldn’t start.

Removed the battery and plugged in the AC adaptor and tried starting again. Still nothing. No beep sound, not even the CPU fan has started.

Then I left my laptop plugged in and closed for the whole night. This morning when I saw the partially lit "Hard Disk  Drive in Use" blue indicator flickering, I hit the power button, while the laptop is plugged in and this time it started, but my mouse pad did not work, eventually after about 50 seconds, it died again. I was just able to log in open my documents. (Was thinking about taking some files out while it started.)

There were a few water droplets (Kind of like precipitated on my screen when I opened it this morning.) I have no idea how this can happen since this is the first time I’m seeing water droplets on my screen in a well air-conditioned, and humidity controlled environment. I was wondering if the battery could leak because there were a few drops near that too. Or, is the battery a Dry cell that it cannot leak?

I’m completely lost here. Please guide me what I should do next?

I was quiet happy with my Lenovo till now and also convinced a few of my friends to get it since I had it, but now my situation is that I want to get at least my data. If I remove the hard disk, will I lose my warranty? Since this is not starting, there is no other way I can get my data out of it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards, 

Cedrick

Cedricko
Paper Tape
Views: 3,735
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo 3000 Y410 not starting at all

Hi,

Can anybody please reply to my question.

I'm desperately waiting for a solution.

If there is no solution other than sending it to Customer Support, can I at least take the hard disk out of my laptop so that I can get my data? Or, will this void my Warranty? My laptop is only 6 months old.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Cedrick

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,710
Message 3 of 9

I think your motherboard just had its last moment. Send in for repair, i think you can remove the harddrive (it is true with Thinkpads anyway, but do ask about it when you log your service call), because when they go to depot they remove your harddrive anyway, Lenovo or Solectron to be more specific don't deal with software problems. The only time they would access your harddrive is when they have to reformat it. But speak to the Lenovo support and tell them you are keeping the harddrive.
Cedricko
Paper Tape
Views: 3,672
Message 4 of 9

Thanks a lot wjli2,

I called the service center and asked them if I can remove the HDD to take a backup of my data, but they said that it will void my warranty. So, I was not able to get any data out of it and had to send my laptop today. Although they did say that it seems like the motherboard is blown and they will not format my HDD, if it is my motherboard. Lets hope that I get my data back.

For anybody else who is interested in knowing how to contact the service center in US for K and Y Series, you should call 877-453-6686. They said they will take from 5 to 10 business days.

There was this big note saying that its my responsibility to make sure that I have the necessary backup of the data. But in this case where the motherboard is blown and I am not allowed to open the case to remove the HDD, how am I suppose to take backup or retrieve my data?

Thanks a lot for your assistance and a BIG thank you to all the guys who are helping others like me to find a solution to the endless list of problems we have.

Regards

Cedrick.

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,667
Message 5 of 9

Regardless of whether you can take your harddrive out, it is a good habit to take backups of your important data, just in case if

your harddrive should fail in the near future. I have bad experiences with this sort of things before when i just started to use computer.

Cedricko
Paper Tape
Views: 3,584
Message 6 of 9

Hi Guys,

I got my laptop back. They say that it was liquid damage that spoiled (Corroded) my motherboard, Touch-pad and Hard-disk and is not covered under warranty. So I had to pay for the service and asked them not to replace my harddisk. Today I got my laptop back (That was quick, thanks guys.) and I can clearly see that my HDD is fine, its functioning without any problem. If I dint ask them not to touch my HDD, they would have put in a new one where it was not necessary.

Anyway, I'm glad that its working now. I have a few problems now, some of my keys are not working, like the Back button, and the space bar. Etc... I haven't finished checking if everything is fine yet, but initial checks show me these troubles. Do you think this could be related to a bad HDD? Is there any quick way I can check the entire system? Could it be a driver problem?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance

Cedrick.

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,562
Message 7 of 9

bad HDD got nothing to do with keyboards, so when they say you got liquid damage did you actually spill liquid on it before??? You can ran PC Doctor 5 to check all your computer components.
Cedricko
Paper Tape
Views: 3,509
Message 8 of 9

No, That's the funny part. I have never spilled any liquid on my Laptop, as I have pointed out earlier, it was always kept in a clean protected environment with controlled humidity and temperature. There is no way that any liquid can be spilled. But if they say that it was damaged by liquid and I dint have a choice other than paying for the repair.

Anyway, they said they replaced my touch pad also, guess what, that has also stopped working.

Plus the mouse buttons (the click buttons on the touch pad) looks like they are going to fall off now.

There is scratches on the body of my laptop too (I normally keep all my stuff as in good condition as new always), as if somebody forcefully tried to open it up.. I'm pretty depressed with their service.

Where can I get "PC Doctor 5"?

I also tried the recovery button and reinstalled everything on my C drive, still its not working, Now, both Keyboard and Mouse. So eventually I had to buy an external mouse and keyboard. I'm afraid to send it back to them anymore. What if they come up again and say the Keyboard was also damaged by some sort of liquid. I did ask them, can they confirm that if it was not the battery leakage and they said no, it was definitely not the liquid from the battery.

If I send it back for repairs, Do I again have to pay for a new keyboard and touch pad? ( I have already replaced the touch pad, but not the keyboard.)

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Cedrick.

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,499
Message 9 of 9

You should have argued the case with them and got Lenovo involved on your behalf (depot is a third party company that Lenovo contracts the repair out to), and requested that the depot provide evidence that you have liquid damage on your laptop. If they claim liquid damage they should have provided photo evidences.

You should contact Lenovo support ASAP and say the depot did not undertake proper repair on your machine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors