Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quick5and
Paper Tape
Views: 34,113
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Question.

Hi.

I am considering buying Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p,to be more specific I want exactly this model from newegg.com.

This model has 5400rpm 1tb HDD which in my personal opinion is not good enough for this laptop so I was planning to upgrade it to SSD but I am not if this is possible to remove the existing HDD and replace is with my SSD as I see no HDD bay on the back of the laptop,the manual also provides no information on how to acess the HDD. There is also no information on the size of the hard disk drive on this model,is it a regular 2.5" HDD or are they using other size drive..?

I have chatted with a few representatives online,but they could not provide any specific information,one of them told me that this is possible,the other one said it is not.

I hope someone can provide detailed information on this matter.

Thank you.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 34,034
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Question.

hi quick5and,

Welcome to the Forums.

The official Ideapad Y510p specs sheet has not been released yet but the 1TB HDD is a regular 2.5" SATA HDD (same as the Y500, see page 38-40 of the hardware maintenance manual on how to access the HDD)

Other SKU of the Y510p, like this merchant, sells a hybrid 2.5" drhve (sample specs here)

As for upgrading the HDD to SSD, you may want to check Crucial's SSD upgrade for the Y510p or go with an mSATA drive (according to these reviews, the Y510p uses an M.2 (formally NGFF) mSATA drive).

Please check this pdf data sheet in the future as it will enlist the official specs for the Y510p.

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

quick5and
Paper Tape
Views: 34,027
Message 3 of 9

I appreiate your reply.

So if I understand correctly,I can replace the 5400rmp HDD with this SSD http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7PD256BW ?

Thank you.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 34,006
Message 4 of 9

hi quick5and,

Yes, the Samsung 840 PRO Series SSD should work as it fits the 2.5" HDD slot on the Y510p (you will need to remove the bracket off the stock HDD into the SSD to get a good fit).

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

cotrofeld
Paper Tape
Views: 33,460
Message 5 of 9

There have been several questions in the forum about upgrading the hard drives, but what hasn't been confirmed is whether the hard drive controller supports SATA 3. I know it has SATA 3 ports on the outside, but will it support a SATA 3 replacement Hard drive getting 6Gbs transfer rate?

frontbroiler
What's DOS?
Views: 31,205
Message 6 of 9

I'm also wondering this. I'm considering the Lenovo Y510p, and I want to install an SSD. I'm planning on installing it in the UltraBay, using an HDD caddy replacing the DVD-rom/burner. The little information I find on this seems to suggest the Y510p only comes with a S-ATA-300, not the 600. Seeing since the 600 standard came along years ago I find it strange if its the case this hasn't been implemented here.

Any info on this out there? Thanks Smiley Happy

superuserz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 26,924
Message 7 of 9

Can Y510P support 512GB SSD? I'm planing to replace the stock 1TB HDD to 512GB SSD (XPG SX900 Solid State Drive)
tungtle
Paper Tape
Views: 26,384
Message 8 of 9

Yes . I would like to replace Lenovo Y510P HDD with 512G SSD, instead of 250G Crucial SSD . Which one of 512G is compatible with my Lenovo Y510P ?

brg_mohajer
Paper Tape
Views: 3,824
Message 9 of 9

Hi,
I want to upgrade my Ideapad Y510P storage, as well.
However, I noticed that all the posts on this thread are considerably old.
I plan to keep my old HDD since I have relevant data and my Ubuntu (UEFI boot) on it that must be conserved.
Hence, I think my only upgrade option is substituting the blu-ray drive (please let me know if I am wrong).
I only need enough space for my windows and a few application beside on the new storage drive. Because for the rest I already have the current HDD. Therefore, a small capacity is sufficient. Although, I prefer the maximum file transfer rate on the SSD.

My question is, what is the best solution now in 2017?
Which hard drive (and the possible components such as Caddy) do you suggest?

tnx in advance

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors