Views: 1,843
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 Microsoft VISTA Home Premium PROBLEMS

Lenovo IdeaPad Y530
Microsoft VISTA Home Premium
Model: 4051-68U

Serial #: *******

From day-1 I have had the following problems with my laptop:
1. System freezes multiple times per day. I am unable to Ctl/Alt/Del to Restart or Shutdown which requires pressing and holding the power button to force a shutdown.
2. Resume after hibernation or sleep takes several minutes and eventually displays the boot display screen saying recovery from the previous checkpoint was unsuccessful giving the option to continue in safe mode or to resume with the system boot.
3. Occasional blue screens requiring reboot.

Lenovo System Toolbox (PC Dr) does not detect any hardware problems.

Windows VISTA Home Premium is up-to-date.

I want to downgrade to Windows XP Pro but Lenovo will not agree to doing that at no cost to me.

I would like to receive a new HDD with Windows XP Pro installed. I'll return the original HDD to Lenovo. 

Moderator edit: Masked serial number to prevent mis-use.

Message Edited by bananaman on 08-15-2009 11:59 AM
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,812
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 Microsoft VISTA Home Premium PROBLEMS

As you have been having these problems from day-1, and you seem to have gone a long way to rule out a hardware problem, I would suggest recovering your system to factory state after backing up your important files. If the system does have an hardware problem this will hopefully show itself during the recovery.

It may also be worth running some independant hardware tests like Drive Fitness Test and MemTest86.

I'm sure Lenovo will replace your hard drive if it proves to be faulty, but sending you one with XP on it - sorry, but this is unfortunately not possible. You have Vista Home Premium which is not entitled to a downgrade, only Business and above are entitled to this. These are Microsoft's rules and not Lenovo's and I don't see Lenovo breaking their contractual agreements with MS. If you feel you must have XP then you will need to purchase a license and install it and the drivers manually.

Good luck

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

unhappycustomer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,794
Message 3 of 11

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y530 Microsoft VISTA Home Premium PROBLEMS

Another problem I forgot to mention in the previous post is:
Start
Shut Down
Hibernate - option does not hibernate. The sign on screen is displayed. I then have to press the power button to put the laptop in hibernate mode.

Then when trying to bring the laptop out of hibernate mode by pressing the power button the following screen is displayed:
The last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed.
Attempt to resume again?
(response options)
Continue with system restore
or
Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menue

When selecting Continue.... after a very long delay (minutes) the previous screen is displayed.
When selecting Delete..... the sign on screen is displayed and the laptop continues startup.

Then when opening MS Office Outlook the following is displayed:
The data file "Personal Folders" was not closed properly. This file is being checked for problems.
Eventually Outlook completes loading and seems to be OK.

unhappycustomer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,752
Message 4 of 11

unacceptable support from Lenovo

I am not technical and I am uncomfortable running utilities such as DFT which could result in unexpected problems that I would not be able to resolve leaving me with an unuseable system. I can not afford to be without my computer at this time since I am desperately looking for a new job.
If I had another HDD that I could copy my system to, then I would have a fall back should the above occur.
I really appreciate the replies from my posts to this forum.
Lenovo knowing the history of VISTA from it's initial release, their excuse of striking a deal with Microsoft which does not allow them to downgrade "consumer" systems from VISTA Home Premium to XP is unacceptable.

However, I continue to question the interest from Lenovo to resolve a customer satisfaction issue.

As a result, I would never purchase another Lenovo system.

I hope this string of posts warns prospective Lenovo customers of the risks in buying one of their systems.

rweigel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,616
Message 5 of 11

Re: unacceptable support from Lenovo

I'm doing an inquire if you have found repair for the occurance?  We are having the same issue.

unhappycustomer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,606
Message 6 of 11

NO.

Lenovo obviously doesn't value their retail consumer customers.

They take care of their business customers and ignore us.

worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,603
Message 7 of 11

I agree with you on your statement. That's very right imo.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,592
Message 8 of 11

Did you run the diagnosis programs I suggested?  Drive Fitness Test  MemTest86

If you did, what were the results?

Regards

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

unhappycustomer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,587
Message 9 of 11

NO!

see my post of 08-18-2009 06:06 AM

I am now seriously considering a MAC. I can't afford one but I'm so frustrated with my Lenovo and Windows VISTA that I may bite the bullet and do it.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,584
Message 10 of 11

I recommend you to call support and if needs be send your system in.

They will NOT be in a position to replace the OS with XP. That is something you need to discuss with Microsoft if you feel Vista is at fault for the problems you are experiencing.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors