Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PDasianjames
Paper Tape
Views: 1,628
Message 1 of 21

Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 unexpected shutdown

I've recently notice unexpected shutdown in my newly purchased lenovo ideapad y560.

I bought this laptop about 1 month or 2 ago.

At first, i thought i might have pressed the shutdown button by accident or something, but then i made sure i changed what the power buttons do so that it does not shut down if i press it. 

Then when it happened again a few weeks ago, i thought it was that my bios were not updated and that some of my drivers were not up to date either, so i updated the bios to the most current version and made sure all drivers were updated.

Things were fine till this morning, when I was merely typing in word document, and the only other program were firefox and stickynotes, my laptop suddenly shutdown as if the power went out, however, it was connected to the charger and the battery was at almost 100% capacity. 

What should I do in this situation?

Former Employee
Views: 1,587
Message 2 of 21

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 unexpected shutdown

@PDasiansjames,

Welcome to Lenovo Forums.

Since you mentioned that you have tried updating the BIOS and all the drivers from Lenovo site. Next step would be try a One Key Recovery restore and see if it helps.

If problem persist, then you would need to contact service to get the laptop checked.

//JameZ
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,581
Message 3 of 21

upload dump file if you have so i can check it.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
khaledseif
Punch Card
Views: 1,578
Message 4 of 21

Are you using bios 71?

trnorman
Paper Tape
Views: 1,568
Message 5 of 21

I have been having a similar problem witha U460. It only seems to shut down when the battery is installed. It does not matter whether it is running on battery or a/c, if the battery is in it will randomly shut down. Try removing the battery and running on just the a/c adapter to see if it still shuts down. 

Now to throw a monkey wrench into the situation, I installed the battery 4 days ago for the first time in weeks, and the unit has not shut down once. I have not updated anything, so it is a matter of waiting to see if it shuts down again. 

PDasianjames
Paper Tape
Views: 1,559
Message 6 of 21

I didn't set up a one key recovery, when I first got the computer, I didn't back up the system.

I guess I should try and send the computer in to get it checked?

Also, I've also realized that, sometimes when i accidently bump my laptop slightly, or it experience some small shock of vibration, the screen would turn black, the computer still seems to be on because all the lights are still on, but the screen would turn black, however, the screen isn't powered off when that happens, it's as if the screen is still being powered but just black.  Should I just post another message about this as well?

PDasianjames
Paper Tape
Views: 1,557
Message 7 of 21

yeah the bios is 71, it's 30CN71WW
PDasianjames
Paper Tape
Views: 1,557
Message 8 of 21

uhh, I tried to find the dump file by going into the "start up and recovery settings" in the advanced system setting tab and look for the dump file location, it says it is located at %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP, but i can't find this anywhere on my computer.

Can you tell me how I should go about looking for the dump file?

Or is it something else you're talking about?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,551
Message 9 of 21

upload minidumps. ( c:\windows\minidump )

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
khaledseif
Punch Card
Views: 1,549
Message 10 of 21

@PDasianjames wrote:
yeah the bios is 71, it's 30CN71WW

It may be the problem. Try reverting to 30CN59WW, if you don't have it pm me your email.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors