Highlighted
Onepamopa
Punch Card
Views: 3,279
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 GPU Issues

Hi, guys.

Im having the following problem:

My Nvidia card doesnt want to work properly all the time. I move the switch, the indicator led goes ON, the game is added @ nvidia control panel to run @ Nvidia card, BUT I start the game and get 19-20 fps.

I restart 10 times, unplug battery & power, reinstalled drivers.

Sometimes the GPU works without ANY problem, I just move the switch and play, and sometimes I have to restart shutdown 10 times in order to make it working again.

When GPU doesnt work properly, It is not shown in AIDA64, and when it works properly - it is shown.

Currently with last nvidia drivers from lenovo support page @ my model, but also tested with various drivers from nVidia.com, the problem presists. I just dont know if it would "decide" to work today or not.

This issue is REALLY annoying, since the GPU act like it's working properly while it isnt and the only way to check it, is to run a game and check fps. The other "detection method" is AIDA64, "GPU" Tab.

If anyone had similar problems and resolved them, please post.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 3,256
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 GPU Issues

Onepamopa
Punch Card
Views: 3,255
Message 3 of 8

Hi, I already read those topics.

What I try to explain is that with settings = constant (not changed) - one time it works great, other time it works terrible.

Im testing with battery, power plugged in, energy plan: High preformance, properly setup-ed "lenovo energy management" and same game @ same resolution in all tests.

The problem is occuring randomly. I may play 1 week without problem, then out of nowhere - 11fps ......

Today I had to restart my laptop 10 times (4 complete shutdowns + removed battery and power) and 6 restarts in order for it to start "working properly", and ALL this without changing a single setting anywhere.

Onepamopa
Punch Card
Views: 3,224
Message 4 of 8

seems like noone else has this problem

epuylon
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,553
Message 5 of 8

Not true, I am experiencing similar issues in World of Warcraft

Some days I get 120+ FPS and it rarely drops below 90FPS. 

However on some other days I get 21, 31, or 19.1 FPS that stays constant. Even though I have the switch on and have the GPU settings to recognize the game.

vankata1999
Paper Tape
Views: 1,488
Message 6 of 8

Hi, my laptop is lenovo ideapad Y570 IntelCore i7 2.20, 8gb ram ( + 4gb by myself) so here comes the problem i have very low FPS in gaming the reason of this is becouse my laptop is using Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, so i have Nvidia GeForce GT 555M 1gb, how can i use  Nvidia card not the Family one?                 

Sorry for bad english.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,458
Message 7 of 8

Don't forget that games not only depend on the GPU, but CPU as well. It is known for Yx70 series that the CPU throttles to 1.2 GHz or at 2.2 GHz when the CPU temperature reaches above 85 degrees Celsius. If the CPU throttles, your CPU won't be able to catch up with the GPU causing lag and stutter.

One more thing, in my Y470, Alt-tabbing will result to the game being only run by the Intel HD so avoid going to other programs while gaming since my frames dropped after I switched to other programs while gaming and Nvidia GPU usage drops to zero when I do that. I guess it's just a bug with Nvidia Optimus.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,454
Message 8 of 8

@vankata1999 wrote:

Hi, my laptop is lenovo ideapad Y570 IntelCore i7 2.20, 8gb ram ( + 4gb by myself) so here comes the problem i have very low FPS in gaming the reason of this is becouse my laptop is using Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, so i have Nvidia GeForce GT 555M 1gb, how can i use  Nvidia card not the Family one?                 

Sorry for bad english.

To use the Nvidia most of the time, just open the Nvidia Control panel > manage 3d settings > On the preferred graphics processor select "High-performance NVIDIA processor." Then go to program settins and let all of the programs run on the NVIDIA processor. It should do the trick most of the time.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors