Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EXLemmy
Paper Tape
Views: 537
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 throttling issue.

I'm having some SERIOUS throttling issues with my laptop right now, whenever i try to play any games. Games will run fine for a little bit and then the FPS willd rop dramatically, and my ENTIRE computer will just bog down and lag while trying to do anything. I've tired A LOT of solutions. Changing fan speeds, reinstalling Thermal Management, doing a System Restore, changing my graphics drivers, using ThrottleStop, and im still getting these problems. Does anyone have any insight on this? I appreciate all help. Maybe i can FINALLY get this fixed, after 8 months of dealing with it.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 526
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 throttling issue.

CPU and GPU are usually throttled by the BIOS when their core temperatures reach 85 - 90 degrees Celsius.

Monitor your CPU and GPUwith RealTemp and GPU-Z  by following the screenshot below:

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Read the log files to see the CPU and GPU frequency and temperature every second. Note the temperatures where the throttling occurs

Steps to prevent throtlling

Clean the fan and heatsink with compressed air and make sure all of the fins and vents in the heatsink aren't blocked by dust. If that only lessens the occurence of throttling, the final step is to bring your laptop to a computer repair shop where a professional can open up your laptop and repaste the CPU and GPU or you can do it yourself in case you're out of warranty. I recommend to use Arctic MX4 or IC Diamond thermal paste as my overclockers recommend this paste. That should fix your throttling. If the laptop still does throttling, you need to play to an airconditioned room where the room temperature is around 16 - 18 degrees Celsius to ensure the fans are taking in cold air. Finally, always ensure that your power plan is set to high performance.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors