Did you mean: 
Highlighted
forceunleasher
Paper Tape
Views: 1,677
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 Problem with one of the keys

Hello!

I'm really worried and don't know how to proceed so I decided to contact you guys, maybe you can help me. So I like to regularly clean my laptop but sometimes I use a vacuum cleaner for the keyboard. I put it on the lowest possible state and I just make a quick run through the keyboard, just to get that dust off the keyboard.

But 2 months ago, when I was cleaning the keyboard with the vacuum cleaner, maybe I got in a specific angle and the right arrow key started to go out. I noticed that and quickly shut down the vacuum cleaner. The key was fine but then it started to get hard to press and register. Not super hard or impossible, just a little harder from the other keys. But today I pulled it slightly and now it's halfway out and REALLY hard to press.

So I was wondering, is the keyboard one of those that allow key removal? Can I swiftly remove the key and put it back again? Will I damage the mechanism? Is it already damaged? Should I contact my local Lenovo warranty center as I did 2 months ago when the problem occured for the first time?

Here are some pics of the issue, I hope they can help in some way.... I think the mechanism below the key is not damaged. I thank you in advance!

http://imgur.com/a/kQteD#0

Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,671
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 Problem with one of the keys

Hi.

First if you still have any warranty get it repaired for free.

A couple of links, the first is the mantanance manual, have a look for the keyboard part number, the next link is a website you can buy replacment keys, i cannot find the Y580, but a lot of notebook models use the same keys, have a look at the Y570 version.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y480_y580_hmm_1st_edition_mar_2012_english.p...

http://www.laptopkey.com/

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
forceunleasher
Paper Tape
Views: 1,665
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 Problem with one of the keys

Hello John!

Thank you for taking the time to help me!

First of all, yes, I am still in warranty, I bought the laptop around the end of august. I had already contacted the support before I began to write this thread. It seems they are unavailable on the weekends. I'll call them tomorrow morning at 9AM.

Second, I was thinking of disassembling the laptop, following the guide on the manual but then I decided it was not a very good idea at all since I'm not experienced. The second link you posted - the site is just awesome but I had already checked it and I was terribly disappointed to see that there was no Y580 guides. So I decided not to do anything on my own before I ask here.

After all, it seems that the Customer Support for Bulgaria should deal with this. I don't want to make it even worse by acting on my own.

I thank you for your help mate but I'll leave the thread like that, maybe someone can shed some more light.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors