Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
medo994
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,191
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 HDD thickness; SSD replacement

Hey guys,

I own an IdeaPad Z500, with a ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB 500 GB HDD made by Samsung.

I would like to make an upgrade with a 1TB HDD, which I would place in the HDD Caddy (DVD/CD Drive replacement).

And I was also planning to get a Samsung 840 EVO SSD, which I would place in the primary HDD slot.

BUT, the HDD I have at the moment is 9,5mm thick. And the 840 EVO is 7mm thick. Will I have any problems installing it in the primary HDD slot?

And is there any chance I can fit a 12,5mm HDD either in the primary HDD slot or in the HDD caddy?

I'm terribly sorry for my English, it's not my native tongue.

Thanks in advance.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,183
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 HDD thickness; SSD replacement

medo994 wrote: ...HDD I have at the moment is 9,5mm thick. And the 840 EVO is 7mm thick. Will I have any problems installing it in the primary HDD slot?

Answer: Page 71 of the Hardware maintenance manual states 9.5 mm hdd/sdd can be used. If you have the 7.0mm drive it can also be accomodated.

medo994 wrote: ...And is there any chance I can fit a 12,5mm HDD either in the primary HDD slot or in the HDD caddy?

Answer: For the primary hdd slot, the hdd/ssd mounting cage is designed for 9.5mm, thus a 7.0mm or 9.5mm hdd/ssd will fit. However, a 12.5 mm will not fit. For the caddy, you will have to consult the caddy specs if it will accomodate a 12.5mm hdd. Also you may have to check the dimension of the caddy against the ODD to see if it will fit in the ODD slot.

medo994
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,180
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 HDD thickness; SSD replacement

Thank you very much!

The caddy itself has to be 9,5mm thick, and the generic one connects without any problems (already tested it). I was just wondering if there is any chance a 12,5mm HDD will fit anywhere. So the answer is NO.

Thanks, again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors