Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bupitz
Paper Tape
Views: 621
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 poor video performance

Hello.

I recently bought an IdeaPad Z500 which features a Nvidia GT 740M 2GB video card.

Even if the card is 64 bit the results I'm getting with it on 1366x768 resolution are quite poor compared with others with the same video card.

The score I get in Windows 7 64bit WEI is only 4.8 on Graphics (compared with 5.9 with a GT 420M built 3 years ago)

In the Nvidia control panel settings is the GT 740M card set as default card for applications.

The driver is the latest for both Nvidia (332.21) and Intel HD4000 (8.15.10.2712).

Any ideas on what could be the problem ?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/Bupitz/PerformanceGt740M_zpsef439dad.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/Bupitz/GT740MLenovoZ500_zpsae33c5b9.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/Bupitz/NvidiaSettings_zps5e68ac7c.jpg

Regards,

Bupitz

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 600
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 poor video performance

hi Bupitz,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

As you have both Intel and Nvidia GPU, the system utilizies the Nvidia Optimus Technology to switch between Intel and Nvidia GPU. The Graphics score of 4.8 on the screenshot is most likely due to the Intel GPU that the system is utilizing and the 3D Business and Gaming Graphics score of 6.7 is due to the Nvidia GPU kicking in.

From the above results, is the unit with a GT 420M GPU that's getting a 5.9 score on WEI running on Nvidia Optimus too?

Other things that you can try to maximize the use of the Nvidia GPU:

1. Set the power settings to high performance and ensure PCIe Link State Power Management is OFF.

2. Configure Nvidia Control Panel's "Power management mode" from Adaptive to Maximum Performance

- see guide here

3. Follow this guide on how to add an app to use with the Nvidia Optimus Technology and observe

As an alternative to Windows Experience Index, consider running Passmark's Performance Test on the Ideapad Z500 and run a 2D/3D Graphics benchmark then compare the results to unit running a GT420M GPU.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Bupitz
Paper Tape
Views: 588
Message 3 of 7

Hi and thank you for the quick answer.

I tried everything you mentioned. I even uninstalled Lenovo Energy Management and managed the performance via Windows.

I still get 4.8 in WEI with all the above settings done Smiley Sad

The other notebook with GT 420M uses the intel i5 460M and I don't think it has Nvidia Optimus....

Guru
Views: 577
Message 4 of 7

Don't worry about WEI. It usually uses integrated GPU for those tests.

To check if your system is actually using Nvidia GPU in WEI and other apps/games just go to Nvidia Control Panel-> Desktop-> Enable GPU activity icon in notification area. When the icon turns colorful it means dedicated GPU is in use. When you click at it a list of apps using it will pop up.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
Bupitz
Paper Tape
Views: 565
Message 5 of 7

Hi. Done that also. Look: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/Bupitz/WEIusingNvidia_zps1222d6a3.jpg I will run also a benchmark to see the performance. It's annoying to see that 4.8 in WEI Smiley Happy
Bupitz
Paper Tape
Views: 561
Message 6 of 7
Guru
Views: 551
Message 7 of 7

Those results seem to be correct. Unfortunately you have a GT740m based on GK208 GPU, which means you have DDR3 memory and 64 bit bus width, which limits the performance.  On the other hand on 1366 x 768 it should run most of the things you throw at it, but often on lower settings.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors