cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZotyareX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 38,573
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 - MBR/GPT disk problem (or BIOS/UEFU)

Hello there!

Would somebody be so kind as to tell me how I am able to turn off UEFI mode in BIOS of my Lenovo IdeaPad Z570?
(I can see very few things and options in the BIOS menu at the moment.)
It's necessary, since I'd like to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium to my computer and during the installation process there is an error message - while choosing the partition where to install the system: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
And I've read somewhere that turning UEFI mode off would solve the problem.

By the way, I'd appreciate any other ideas or suggestions to solve this problem.

Sfairat
802.11n
Views: 38,547
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 - BIOS - UEFI

There are two solutions for your problem.

WARNING! Both the ways that I suggest will ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA ON YOUR HD! If you have anything you want to save, copy it before doing it.
First, easy, is to erase all partitions from your disk via windows installation utility. Then, windows will offer you to convert disk to GPT.
Or, if windows doesn't do it in this 'automatic' way, you can convert disk to GPT using diskpart.
For this, use this manual to access console http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/682-command-prompt-startup.html

Then, type following commands

diskpart

Wait until it loads, and then

LIST DISK <-- this will list currently connected disks, you should determine which of the disks is the one on which you want to install windows and remember its number.

SELECT DISK <0> <--you should replace <0> with the number you had on previous stage, in most cases, it would be 0

CLEAN

CONVERT GPT

CREATE PARTITION EFI SIZE=200 OFFSET=1024

SELECT PARTITION 1

FORMAT FS=FAT32 QUICK

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=<size_for_win_partition_in_megabytes> OFFSET=206848

SELECT PARTITION 2

FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

That should be all) After this, you should be able to install windows on your hard drive.

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 38,426
Message 3 of 9

EFI system are here to ______ all of us. For months I have requested a BIOS mod because of Lenovo's darn limitations on the BIOS. Also, EFI systems can prevent you from using other OS like certain Linux OS distros based on what Lenovo decides we should be running on our computer(s).

You have 2 options. You can erase the MBR in favor of a GTP driver or save yourself the trouble and use the OneKey Recovery DeNovo button on your laptop.

ZotyareX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 38,379
Message 4 of 9

Erasing all of my data on my HDD didn't mean a problem since I've got an external HDD to save anything on it.
So, both the solution and the commands of diskpart were perfect. I've managed to install Win7 Home Premium 64 bit to my computer after completing these instructions. Thank you very much for your help and very quick responses (especially to You, Sfairat)!
(By the way, I've edited the title of the first post of mine (the topic's) to make it other people easier to find.)

Highlighted
Nikola_And1
Paper Tape
Views: 30,478
Message 5 of 9

Hello to all,

I have Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 and I'm facing with difficulties while installing fresh copy of Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I've tried to install it following the instructions above and I'm still getting the blue screen of death.

Every information that I found regarding the issue when installing fresh copy of windows doesn't help. 

Any help is welcome.

cerbero
Punch Card
Views: 28,701
Message 6 of 9

Does it work for a Lenovo B570 ? I need de oem partition because it has slowed down since I deleted all the HDD. Thank you.

Jon_T37435
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,999
Message 7 of 9

You know what would be super awesome? If anyone from Lenovo would address the issue of booting in UEFI-GPT mode from a USB device. I mean it's a nice looking firmware menu, but does it actually do anything? I don't know, like boot to EFI shell or something, at least give us a chance to fix things when it all goes pear shaped.

FYI, my 1 year old ideapad is not even good for a boat anchor right now since I tried to recover windows with a corrupt boot sector AND recovery environments. If I see that frowny face on a BSOD one more time this week, well let's just say I won't have hardware issues anymore.

Also, my warranty is good and void, but I tried to salvage my windows install for the cost it added to my device and it has caused me nothing but grief as I watched a blazingly fast Linux distro crumble under the weight of Microsoft and Lenovo's ineptitude. Creator's update my a**. All it has created is an endless nightmare.

PS that's some bang on advice for fixing windows, wipe the slate clean and pray for ample chalk.

🤗

Jon_T37435
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,997
Message 8 of 9

Sorry for the typos, you could say I'm a little peeved. Can anyone suggest a alternate UEFI to flash this dinosaur with?

Hey, I found the edit button!

Maybe this time ol' GPT money$oft will not wreck my whole file system. Oh yeh, the trick is not to burn in Rufus DD mode, stick with ISO, learned that the hard way. Oh well, might get media creation tool success this time. Wish me luck! 😘

Jon_T37435
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,976
Message 9 of 9

For the record, Linux GPT on a USB will boot if you include a switch for ACPI=off in the startup flags, on vmlinuz.efi init. This has been known for quite a while and couldn't be hard to code in. I literally could do nothing to restore windows from USB, it would BSOD before the Windows Boot Manager would start, the SSD couldn't take all the bloat.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors