Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinmahoney95
What's DOS?
Views: 9,652
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 Bluetooth Problem

Hi, I just purchased a brand new, in-the-box Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 laptop. It was advertised as having built-in Bluetooth technology. I just received the computer in the mail today. When I took the computer out of the box and booted it, I noticed that there was no icon for Bluetooth anywhere. I downloaded a driver off Lenovo's website and tried to install it, but the driver crashed in mid-installation. 

Some websites suggest checking the BIOS and enabling/disabling (and re-enabling) Bluetooth under the settings, but when I go to the settings, there is no Bluetooth device listed. 

Lenovo website says that to edit Bluetooth settings, you must press Fn/F5 simultaneously. When I do this, all that comes up is a screen with settings for my Wireless Network Card. There is supposed to be both Bluetooth and Wireless there. 

Other people have said they have experienced this situation as well, but nobody seems to have a solution online. 

I am using the packaged OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit). Device Manager does not list any Bluetooth device, from what I can see. 

What gives? It's a brand new machine.

Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 9,606
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 Bluetooth Problem

There should be an BT enable/disable option in your bios, but as you have said you cannot find one, the box that you Z580 came in has the specifications on a white label on the  side, mine says BT 2.1 even though it`s BT 4.0 , you might not have BT have a look.

EDIT : I had to remove the cover off the bottom of my Z580 to check the wifi card model  i had, it`s only 1 screw, take a photo and post it here, you will not invalidate your warranty as long as you dont damage anything.

EDIT 2: the link below is a photo of my wifi card in my Z580 the part circuled in red is the lenovo part number, which is listed in the service manual pdf as an Broadcom BCM4313 + BT4.0

Post what the number is on your wifi card and i should be able to tell if you have bluetooth.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/policeman999/wificard_zpsa5bfef89.jpg

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Firehawk95
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,562
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 Bluetooth Problem

First, it would be odd that your Z580 does not have it as all of the ones I've seen advertised do, including all on the Lenovo US web store. It would be odder still if you did have it and it wasn't activated out of the box.

You didn't mention where you looked in Windows. It should be listed in Bluetooth Radios in the Device Manager.

FYI, the white label on mine from Staples did not list BT at all, but 4.0 was included; machine manufactured in May 2012.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors