Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
someone91
Paper Tape
Views: 6,400
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 GPU problem

Hi to evreyone!

So recently I bought a brand new Lenovo Z710 (i7-4700mq, intel hd 4600 and nvidia gt745m). I then installed windows 8.1 (genuine) and all the drivers on the cd that came with the machine. But it seems there is a big problem with the graphics card. Nvidia gt745 seems like its not there. The Geforce Experience and nvidia control panel fail to recognize it, although it's there on Windows Driver Manager.

When I try to load a game (WOW) it crashes on the loading screen. "Display driver has stopped responding..." bubble appears and a minute or so afterwards, there is a bsod. The game works on the integrated card (intel hd 4600) when nvidia is disabled or its driver is uninstalled.

I tried reinstalling the drivers, downloading and installing the recent ones, removing all graphic drivers and reintalling them in different order, tried safe mode, changed some bios settings, but still nothing happened.

Could this be any kind of driver compatibility issue or simply a windows thing, or is it a hardware problem? Could the nvidia be faulty or the laptop itself?

I want to try anything before turning it back to where I bought it for a look... So your ideas will be vastly appreciated. Thanks!

Guru
Views: 6,352
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 GPU problem

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/344.11/344.11...

try this driver and see how you get on
Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
3 custom gaming pc systems
someone91
Paper Tape
Views: 6,335
Message 3 of 11

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have already done that. I have also used the ones from the laptop's own site. 

someone91
Paper Tape
Views: 6,306
Message 4 of 11

Anybody?

isher
What's DOS?
Views: 6,269
Message 5 of 11

Hi

I had the same problem with the same laptop.I've been working on that problem 3 days.Semms I have solved it.Try to change graphic details in WoW to Fair.I've done that and I can play now.It seems that after new patch something is wrong with our GPU.Let me know if you find other solution

someone91
Paper Tape
Views: 6,260
Message 6 of 11

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I've managed to solve it, after playing with the drivers for around 2-3 days. There was some kind of incompatibility between the integrated gpu driver (intel hd) and nvidia. I gave up to this thread, because there was no movement.

What I did and worked is the following procedure: I completely wiped out every gpu driver, then installed the newest nvidia driver (careful, only the driver, and via Windows driver manager, not the nvidia's .exe installer). After that, I installed the intel hd driver (this time the full .exe installer) and then, I used the nvidia installer to install all its other components (you cannot use the nvidia's .exe installer without the integrated driver already installed). I hope these make sense, but that's how I fixed it.

Anyway, I don't know what kind your problem is exactly (Is your laptop new? Have you upgraded or changed any driver recently? Can you play any other games?) but mine had nothing to do with WoW. Whatever settings I used, the result was always a crash. Now everything is ok and the game runs smoothly.

It felt like Windows knew that there was a dedicated gpu, but couldn't access it.

isher
What's DOS?
Views: 6,241
Message 7 of 11

Hi

My laptop is 4 months old so its almost new Smiley Happy..I hadt exatly the same problems as You.On loading screen I had a freeze and BsoD after a while.Strange thing is that blizzard launcher showed me that my intel driver is out of date( i had the newest one).I will try your soulution later on.Can you tell me which drivers U used??Thanks

someone91
Paper Tape
Views: 6,234
Message 8 of 11

These were the drivers I used, for windows 8.1 x64.

Intel hd 4600

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng&ProdId=3720

nvidia 645m (344.11).

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/77841

You can also try the newest version from nvidia (344.48). The upgrade didn't mess up my system.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/78877.

Best of luck!

isher
What's DOS?
Views: 6,220
Message 9 of 11

Unfortunatelly today I saw BsoD once again.I think something is wrong with the GPu so I think I will have to send it to Lenovo.I hope you wont have to do the same thing becouse as far as I hear Lenovo got sloooooooow sevice soI will have to wait for my laptop for a while( Wow Expansion need to wait )

luci2000
Paper Tape
Views: 5,050
Message 10 of 11

I have same problem with graphic card when i try to play Dota2.The only solution that i found was to remove dedicate video card drivers and run using integrated card from Intel.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors