cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jair666
Fanfold Paper
Views: 282
Message 1 of 1

Lenovo IdeaPad y570 and it's nVidia GT 555M - video card failing?

My stepsons' laptop recently began giving him issues playing games.  He backed up his software and restored it to factory defaults but the issue has remained.  The nVidia drivers simply crash either crashing the program and closing to desktop or require a hard shut down.

The nVidia card is a GT 555M

I've had a look at it and we have tried the following:

Clean install of the nVidia drivers, both the ones listed on the lenovo drivers pages, and the nVidia site.

Windows updates were checked and verified to be up to date.

Power settings were tried with both max performance and balanced options.

I backed up his system, and used the built in restore function to return it to factory defaults and confirmed that the issue remained.

The system does not seem to be getting hot and otherwise runs fine.  His initial issues were with a couple of Steam games, but have since spread to anything video related.  The toggle is on for the nVidia GPU to be used and it is correctly applying the setting to use it when games are launched.  Even running the Windows 'Ratings Test' causes the system to fail.

As he is responsible for reviewing games for one of his jobs and this is his main system it would be wonderful if someone here has seen this or knows what might be the cause. 

I am suspecting a failed video card but cannot see any diagnostics available for Lenovo's or the video card in general. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors