Did you mean: 
Prksgws
Paper Tape
Views: 394
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo IdeaPad z500 startup issues...black screen remains after Lenovo logo

Hello,

My Lenovo laptop is not starting.

When I press the power button the Lenovo logo appears. After that there is an error message and the laptop prepares for automatic repair. But as the repair screen comes up nothing happens thereafter. The black screen remains.

Even tried reinstalling windows but after selecting the usb drive for booting nothing happens. The same black screen remains.

Does anyone knows the issue?

Bill115
WWAN
Views: 346
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad z500 startup issues...black screen remains after Lenovo logo

fwiw, I presume you used Windows 10 Media Creation tool on another Windows computer, to make a bootable windows 10 USB pen drive?

Can you confirm the pen drive boots OK on another computer?

If you still have problems booting from USB on your Lenovo, perhaps try creating a bootable linux USB stick to test booting from USB.  eg.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

(I don't work for Lenovo)

Prksgws
Paper Tape
Views: 340
Message 3 of 6

The booting is fine....it's just that nothing happens after I select my usb...

Now the laptop has gone in repairing mode..,..the message says repairing disk errors.....it has been same for a day....

Bill115
WWAN
Views: 324
Message 4 of 6

I'm afraid it looks like Windows files, and/or hard drive is probably corrupt if Windows hasn't fixed the problem within 15 minutes in my experience.   

The z500 must be 4 or more years old?    If there is data you wish to try to recover, your best option is to remove the drive and fit a new SSD imho.  Then perhaps use a USB3 to SATA adapter cable to access contents of corrupted drive.

Sorry for asking again, but have you tested the Win10 USB pen drive boots up on another computer?

(I don't work for Lenovo)

Prksgws
Paper Tape
Views: 318
Message 5 of 6

Yes...pen drive boots up....
It is win 8.1 actually....
I just waited for 2 hours after selecting the pen drive....and finally the windows installation menu did come up.....

But the problem I AM facing is that it is getting stuck on every second menu once I started installation... very slow ....my laptop is 6 years old...it suddenly crashed....before it was not this much slow..

By the way the windows installation has now reached to a stage where it reads getting devices ready...but it's very slow...

I felt initially it might be ram or hard disk problem....
Bill115
WWAN
Views: 311
Message 6 of 6

Sorry, I didn't think anyone would still be using Windows 8.....  ;-)

You could test the RAM by creating a memtest bootable USB pen drive, but I doubt RAM is faulty if BIOS and Windows reports correct amount of installed RAM.

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

There are free software tools to check the SMART data in hard drives to see if it reports any errors (eg. Western Digital Diagnostics, Crystaldiskinfo etc).  Otherwise, replacing it with a new hard drive or super fast 2.5" SSD is only way to know for sure if old hard drive is faulty.

CPUID offer a free HWmonitor app for monitoring cpu core speeds.  HWinfo is another similar utility.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors