Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pokebowl
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Idealpad Y500 Disk Error

Hi all:

I am seeking your expetise for my PC issue. My laptop has been working fine for the past two years until last Saturday.

I put the laptop into the sleep mode before I went out. When tried to wake it up after I returned home, the screen went complete black and frozen.  I let it run for 10+ minutes and have to force to shut it down by pressing the power button manually.

After rebooting, the screen was still in complete black, but I could see my mouse pointer and moved it around.  The situation continues for maybe 20 minutes, and I became impatient and shut it down again.

The sencond rebooting stuck on the Lenovo Logo for 10 minutes and a message showed up saying there was a disk error.  It started the repair work and the diagnose system.  A warning message on the screen syaing it may go on for hours so I let the laptop on overnight.  When I came back the next day, it was still in the diagnose screen and nothing was changed.

Is my HD dead? Can anyone please help me? I would truly appreciate for your help as I do not want to buy a new laptop w/o knowing what is the problem of my current laptop.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 110
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Idealpad Y500 Disk Error

hi pokebowl,

Welcome to the Forums.

From your observation, it does look like the HDD is showing signs of imminent failure. A disk error message normally occurs if the system detects bad sectors on the HDD.

To verify the health of the drive, try to create a Lenovo Bootable USB Diagnostic tool and run a test on the HDD.

Sample video:

How to create Lenovo Diagnostics USB

How to use Lenovo diagnostics

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

pokebowl
Paper Tape
Views: 86
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Idealpad Y500 Disk Error

Hi neokenchi:

Thank you for your responses. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I was able to generate the Lenovo bootable USB diagnostic following the instructions from the Lenovo website (with user interface intead of doing it with command line). I then press the "Novo" button on the side of my laptop. It powered up and took me to a window showing 4 options:

1. Normal Startup;

2. BIOS Menu;

3. Boot Menu; and

4. System Recovery

I chose option 3 and changed the boot option to USB drive. The USE drive started to flash and a commend-line window showed up look like it was a running program. After it finished in few seconds, the window closed and my laptop was shut down automatically. I wait for half hour and the same situation was still there when I turned on the power.

I also tried to do option 4 for system recovery, but it still took me to the same "preparing auto repair" and "diagnosing PC" loop. I also tried to the following:

Turned off the laptop, unplugged the charger, and removed the battery. I hold the power button for around 30 seconds and then connected to the charger while the battery was still outside.  This did not work either.

I heard it might be some Window 8 looping bugs, but I don't know to how solve it. Can you or anyone offer recommendations what to do at this point? 

Thank you.    

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors