Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Armpack4
Paper Tape
Views: 281
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Ideapad P500 Model 20210 HD Upgrade to SSD Windows Installation Problems

Hello All,

I recently decided to upgrade my hard drive on my Lenovo P500 Ideapad Model 20210, Manufacture Date: Apr. 2013.

Current hard drive is Seagate/Samsung Model: ST750LM022, HDD P/N HN-M750MBB/LCP

I removed the Seagate HDD fromt eh laptop and placed the following Kingston 240GB SSD in the same hardware slot:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-240GB-Solid-SA400S37-240G/dp/B01N5IB20Q/ref=asc_df_B01N5IB20Q/?tag=h...

Computer recognizes the new SSD in the BIOS and is able to boot up using an external hard drive via USB.

I get to the windows screen where it asked for the keyboard layout (US).

I then select 'Recover from a drive'

I then select 'Just remove my files' (have also tried the 'fully clean the drive' option with same results as below)

then select 'recover'

The Lenovo logo pops up on sceen and does some 'thinking' for about 5 seconds

Then a screen pops up that says 'There was a problem resetting your PC.  No changes were made.'

I cannot figure out was is causing the PC to error during the windows installation.  Everything I read online says that the SATA 3 SSD (6.0 Gb/s) should be compatible with the SATA-300 (SATA 2; 3 Gb/s) motherboard on the machine.

I did find these few other forum posts related to P500 SSD upgrades, but I could not make heads or tails of it. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Can-I-Add-a-SSD-to-a-P500/td-p/1058693

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/P500-mSATA-Compatibility/td-p/977437

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/SSD-in-Ideapad-P500/td-p/3628461

Should I be giving up and returning the SSD, or is there something simple I am missing here?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 264
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ideapad P500 Model 20210 HD Upgrade to SSD Windows Installation Problems

Hello and welcome,

I'm not quite following this.... you have windows _installed_ on an external drive and you're trying to recover with that?  If so, it's likely trying to reset itself.  IIRC windows isn't happy running on an external drive  anyway.

What version of windows is on your old HDD?  What version is on the external drive?  What version are you trying to install?

Are you trying to essentially clone your old drive, or are you trying to do a clean install?

If you are OK with essentially setting your SSD to the state the HDD was from the factory, put the HDD back in, make recovery media, put the SSD in, boot the recovery media, and off you go...

Sorry if these questions - and the suggestion - are poorly aimed.  As I said, I don't quite understand your setup or intent.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Armpack4
Paper Tape
Views: 251
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ideapad P500 Model 20210 HD Upgrade to SSD Windows Installation Problems

Hello Z,

Thanks for the quick response and sorry if my situation was hard to follow.

The old Seagate HDD has Windows 8 installed.  I created a 'recovery drive' on a separate external HD even before I did any of the hard drive swapping.  This 'third' HD is what I was using to try to re-boot the computer (via USB) and re-install windows 8 on the new SSD inside the laptop.

I was going for a clean install as opposed to a clone, but it is hanging up during the install process.

Maybe the 'recovery drive' that I created is corrupted or something?

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors