Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Freel4tte
Paper Tape
Views: 3,320
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo Ideapad Y500 hdd problem

So, a lot happened yesterday with my new laptop. I have the Lenovo idepad y500 laptop and i use a G700 logitech mouse and a G13 logitech gamepad. The problem started with me gaming gear. I game a lot and use the G13 only for World of Warcraft (I have it plugged in almost every time though). I always have the Gaming Software running on the background. Sometimes when I game the Gaming Software disconnects my G700 and my G13 randomly and reconnect them shortly after.

But it does this much more often when I play Wow or LoL. At some point after many re-connects the gaming software freezes. When this happens my Gamepad stops working but my mouse still works (because it doesn't really need the gaming software to work). After I unplug the gamepad, kill the gaming software and execute the software again everything is fine (after some time it will disconnect and reconnect again until it freezes up again).

I played WoW this way for quite some days now. But today it went from bad to worse. When the gaming software froze up I unplugged everything like I normally do. But now my laptop spammed the "1" input, auto filling all text boxes and spamming error beeps. Finding this really weird I hard reset my laptop thinking, this should help.

Now after this Hard reset (unplugged everything, took out the battery and drained the laptop from power, just to be sure) my laptop was incredibly slow when booting. I only had this Laptop for a week and I know my stuff about registry and startup programs. I never have useless programs run on the background or at startup. I clean my registry every week and defrag my drives on a regular basis.

My laptop (the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 BTW), used to boot windows in record speed (in about 3 seconds the login screen was visible and another 5 seconds to load everything to desktop). Now it almost takes 30-40 seconds to get to the login screen. Scanned my laptop multiple times for viruses. I only use 1 anti virus (Norton) and I use spybot on the side. Checked my startup programs, just to be sure. Every thing was normal, no ordinary stuff. My laptop is incredibly slow in the beginning but after some time its just the same as normal.

I notice that most of the "slow" time my drive activity is at 100%. Could be bad drive sections or even a root kit. Scanned for rootkits (nothing found). So I checked for drive errors. My drives did have errors but there wasn't any option to repair them. Looking at many forums posts about this issue, and to make an even longer story short, I get to the boot options menu. Tried automatic repair and that didn't work. Gave an error that windows couldn't auto repair. Tried refresh laptop option. Didn't work either. Still the same slow boot up. I even tried a reset to factory settings. Still the same.

I can't understand why a brand new laptop which is very clean (believe me, I know how to keep my computer clean and fast with registry cleaning and stuff) gets incredible slow after a hard reset. My guess is that when the strange gaming software problem happened it dumped a lot of error reports on my drive. Hard resetting wasn't probably a good idea (tried Ccleaner and disk cleanup to clear all those reports).  

I also used chkdsk to scan for problems. Each time it came up with errors. So I restart my laptop with a scan and repair. Used /f and /r commands with chkdsk. After pulling a allnighter with scanning (stuck at the 27%) my laptop finally finished. But chkdsk still says my drives have errors. But according ot Tune Up Disk docter and the diagnostic tool from lenovo my harddrive is healthy.

It just hangs a little while at the Lenovo text screen, loading icons shows up, then goes to black for some seconds and then finally shows the login screen. And when I log in it is very slow responding with tasks, showing 100% diskusage with the performance tool (when that finally shows up). After a while the laptop goes back to original state and normal respond rate (atleast I think it does. Sometimes its a lot slower than normal when executing programs).

I just cant understand why its suddenly slow at startup after a hard reset. If someone has some insight about this problem please let me know. Its much appreciated! Thanks for reading my post and in advance for any help.

aligokalppeker
What's DOS?
Views: 3,280
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 hdd problem

Hi,

I have the same issue. Just the same case, but it was when i was playing Dead Space 3

Also, i have several problems regarding HDD, as i believe.

In some cases, i dont know which ones, notebook can not be shutdown, yes right, it is starting shutdown sequence, it closes screeen, but right then it stuck on there and does not power-off completely.

I've tried many ways for fixing it, updated drivers, cleaned laptop etc.. but it does not work.

If there can be any help, it is highly appreciated.

tinyglutton
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,213
Message 3 of 13

Someone please help us!  I am having the exact same problem where my computer went completely unresponsive, and I held down the power button for a few seconds until the system finally shut off (no other choice).  Then, when I rebooted, my entire system was incredibly slow.  The boot process took about 1-2 minutes, where previously it was about 8 seconds, and when I clicked on an icon like chrome, it would do absolutely nothing, and then load like 50 seconds later, all the while my hard drive light was at 100%.

I installed Avast AntiVirus (over a whopping 4 hours!) and it did not find anything wrong with my laptop.  I also haven't been visiting any websites except for gmail and facebook for the past few weeks, while using a secured wireless with a very strong password, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus.  Doing anything is incredibly slow: even when I press CTRL-ALT-DELETE it is about 10 seconds before the menu appears in Windows 8 that even lets me select Task Manager as what I want to launch, and then about a minute later, it will open.  Windows calculator takes 30 seconds to load...what the heck?!

tinyglutton
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,212
Message 4 of 13

BTW, I have a Lenovo y500.

Freel4tte
Paper Tape
Views: 3,111
Message 5 of 13

Does nobody have any idea why this could happen? I still have a strong feeling that my lenovo is not performing as it should be. BUMP

tinyglutton
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,087
Message 6 of 13

Just FYI, I ran a chkdsk /f /r from the CMD prompt and then rebooted to let the chkdsk program work it's magic.  It took about 10 hours and the computer looked frozen at 24% for the LONGEST time (5 hours maybe?) but I just let it do it's thing, and sure enough, while I had no bad sectors, I did have a corrupt "index" or something and when chkdsk fixed that, everything was back to normal.

Freel4tte
Paper Tape
Views: 3,072
Message 7 of 13

So you just ran chkdsk /f /r and nothing else? 

tinyglutton
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,062
Message 8 of 13

Full disclosure: I ran a whole number of things like Avast Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and things like that.  This took forever considering how slow my computer was.  None of these had ANY effect on the problem.  

Long story short: the only thing that fixed the problem was typing the following from the CMD prompt:

chkdsk /f/r

and then rebooting to let chkdsk actually do the scan.  Please understand that you need to give your computer plenty of time (24 hours) to actually run this scan, and that it may appear to freeze at a "percentage complete" number like 24% or 27% for 6-10 hours, and you'll have this biting urge to give up on the scan.  DO NOT DO THIS.  LET THE SCAN COMPLETE.  I don't know how long it actually took for my scan to complete, but I set it to go at around 11 pm, and it was not done when I left for work at 9 am the next morning, but it WAS done by the time I got home at 5pm.

tinyglutton
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,061
Message 9 of 13

(And at that point, my computer was running perfectly again).

Freel4tte
Paper Tape
Views: 3,033
Message 10 of 13

I know about the duration of the chkdsk scan. Already tried that once. But I'll try that again tonight. I'll keep you guys updated!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors