Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dispentry
Paper Tape
Views: 365
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Ideapad Y510P doesn't start after thermal repaste

Hi all,

Recently i've noticed my Y510P had high temperatures whilst gaming. (90C on 4700MQ and 98C on both GT755's) so i decided to replace the thermal paste.

The problem is that when i press the power button, only the power led goes on, nothing else happens. No fans spin, no screen, no keyboard light, etc.

What i've tried:

Unplug the battery and try to boot with charger

Take out 2nd gpu

Reseated everything

Tried external monitor

Held the power button down for 60s

Reseated the CPU

Turning it on without RAM

Turning it on without SSD

Still nothing happens, anyone got an idea?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 291
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510P doesn't start after thermal repaste

@Dispentry wrote:

I decided to replace the thermal paste.  The problem is that when i press the power button, only the power led goes on, nothing else happens. No fans spin, no screen, no keyboard light, etc..  Anyone got an idea?

Modern CPUs have a thermal sensor that is designed to switch the power off if the sensor thinks that the CPU is about to overheat.  So, perhaps the thermal paste and/or heatsink are not making a good contact?

The other possibility is that some part of the circuitry suffered a static discharge from you while you were making the changes, and that piece of circuitry is now damaged.  I did that when I upgraded the hard disk in a Sony Vaio some years ago.  Result: the touchpad and some of the indicator lights no longer worked (but the laptop remained quite usable, and indeed I am using it now to write this post).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Dispentry
Paper Tape
Views: 263
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510P doesn't start after thermal repaste

I spread the thermal paste with a old card, and there is plenty of coverage. I also checked the other side of the heatsink and there's thermal paste on it (which indicates contact)

Also, there is no carpet in my house, so i don't know how static electricity could have built up.

Top Kudoed Authors