Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smoldering
Paper Tape
Views: 3,780
Message 1 of 30

Lenovo Ideapad Y560 Fries Itself -- Motherboard Toast

Just after 1 year of owning my Lenovo Ideapad Y560, apparently the motherboard is toast: no power comes to the board at all.

The repair shop said that they have seen about 75 of these come through that burned themselves up. They say that the only remedy is to replace the motherboard and then run it with a cooling device only. Why didn't Lenovo specify this when I purchased the laptop?  I've always been careful to run it on a hard surface that allows ventilation.

Did you guys do any QA when you designed and manufactured the thing?  What remedy is there for this problem? Just to alert other consumers? Am I just hosed on this?

Topjack
Punch Card
Views: 3,746
Message 2 of 30

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y560 Fries Itself -- Motherboard Toast

Smoldering, I myself have a Y560 and had some video problems in the first few months of having it. But since then I'm thankful my PC has been fine. I have seen many others complain of heating problems and most seem to either buy a cooler or reapply new artic silver. Do you have the 2 year warranty? Or just the basic 1 year? If still under warranty contact customer service and have them repair it. As for Lenovo and poor quality control, every manufacture has the same problem. They all come from China. Good luck in getting your PC back up and running.

jazkibbe
Paper Tape
Views: 3,621
Message 3 of 30

make that 76 ... my board just fried.... 3 months after warranty on a pretty expensive computer...  any recommendations?

sometech
What's DOS?
Views: 3,590
Message 4 of 30

This is not as a result of poor Q and A by lenovo. Lenovo makes good stuff and they stand by their products. I have seen 8 of these machines with the same problem, and they were all caused by the same cause. Negligence. People buy electronics and assume that after buying it, they never have to do any maintenance. All of these machines overheated and fried because people weren't keeping the heatsinks and fans clear of debris, i.e. dust, lint, animal hair, nicotine, etc. It's like going to a car dealership and buying a new car and never doing any oil changes. Don't say you didn't know you had to maintain it. Everything on this planet needs maintenance.

legnum7
Punch Card
Views: 3,581
Message 5 of 30

@sometech wrote:

This is not as a result of poor Q and A by lenovo. Lenovo makes good stuff and they stand by their products. I have seen 8 of these machines with the same problem, and they were all caused by the same cause. Negligence. People buy electronics and assume that after buying it, they never have to do any maintenance. All of these machines overheated and fried because people weren't keeping the heatsinks and fans clear of debris, i.e. dust, lint, animal hair, nicotine, etc. It's like going to a car dealership and buying a new car and never doing any oil changes. Don't say you didn't know you had to maintain it. Everything on this planet needs maintenance.

This IS a result of poor quality control and testing by lenovo.
 it is NOT normal that laptop owner has to dissasemble and clean fan & exaust every couple of months. 
My old dell Inspiron (home crap line of laptops) has never been internaly cleaned for 5 years and STILL DOESNT OVERHEAT.
cooling system of y560 is pathetic, and lenovo doesnt give a s*hit.  they even didnt  relase an BIOS update to keep fan working correctly.  

christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 3,575
Message 6 of 30

True negligence can be a cause, but cheap manufacturing is another cause. Between solder problems with memory slots, solder problems with GPUs, poor materials, inadequate cooling designs, poorly tested drivers, poorly designed cases that flex internal parts, I could add more..., it's not very fair to blame users when this stuff happens. Not just talking about Lenovo either saying this.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,534
Message 7 of 30

christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 3,532
Message 8 of 30

hey yeah. Those hardened laptops aren't cheap either. When I last looked at machines like this even older used stuff was expensive. Tthere's been stuff I've seen on e-bay I think. Nothing new though like the links you provided.

madseason
Serial Port
Views: 3,500
Message 9 of 30

legnum7 wrote

This IS a result of poor quality control and testing by lenovo.
 it is NOT normal that laptop owner has to dissasemble and clean fan & exaust every couple of months. 
My old dell Inspiron (home crap line of laptops) has never been internaly cleaned for 5 years and STILL DOESNT OVERHEAT.
cooling system of y560 is pathetic, and lenovo doesnt give a s*hit.  they even didnt  relase an BIOS update to keep fan working correctly.  

Your 5 years old DELL was made in diferent lithography, and it gave almost no heat as it does not gives any performance.

Look at the latest Intel procesors 3rd gen - they heat as hell (according to threads on this forum) and it is not because that are **bleep**t, it is the lithography they are made in, that does not allow to give away heat efficiently.

Example - your dell has around 2cm2 silicone core hidden under metal cap on it, and the 3rd gen i core has only 0.5cm2 silicone core, and the amount of heat it needs to process through body to heat sink is much greater as the clocks are higher, multicores and as well it got GPU included. Whats more, on the same heat sink there is dedicated GPU, so just imagine the heat, that needs to be processed. If you are not going to maintain correctly your laptop it is going to die from overheating, no doubt.

Performance comes at a price.

=============================================================================================
y460, i7 640m, 8GB 1066 CL-7, 80GB SSD Intel 310 pci-e + 500GB HDD WD, ATI 5650m + eGPU GTX 560 Ti 2GB GDDR5
legnum7
Punch Card
Views: 3,494
Message 10 of 30

That explains a lot, thank you.

But still, cooling in y560 is a result of poor quality control and testing by lenovo.
gpu cooling rod goes over cpu before getting to fan.
Who thought that was a good idea ffs?!
here:
http://www.zynox.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/backside2.jpg
so new cpus and gpus use more heat, but lenovo has decided to use this illogical and inefficient cooling system design?
for a gaming laptop?
if cpu overheat, gpu will overheat as well coz no fan can reach it.
gpu actually has passive cooling.
w8 no, PASSIVE HEATING.
and considering fan exaust gets stuck fast, it's amazing more of y560 motherboards havent boiled

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors