cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiKershaw
What's DOS?
Views: 2,390
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Ideapad Y560P Will Not Boot. Caps Lock and Num Lock lights on.

I have a Ideapad Y560P that shut down suddenly and when we tried to turn it back on, the Caps Lock and Num Lock (on F8 key) lights go on but the computer does not start. I saw a similar thread from 2010 but there was no resolution. I assume that the two lights on at the same time at attempted start indicate some kind of "fault" condition in the computer. I have not been able to get the bios to start so that I could run diagnostics. I pulled the battery and held down power for 30 seconds, pressed start twice, put the battery back in but still won't start. I pulled memory out, trying to get a POST "beep" error but that didn't occur. I put memory back in one dimm at a time. I pulled the Hard Drive out and put it in an external enclosure and was able to extract the information to another laptop so I'm pretty sure I didn't have a hardware Hard Drive failure. Other than the one reference in this forum I haven't seen any information about this kind of, what I assume is a, hardware failure. I assume that Lenovo has some kind of guide that tells them what the lights mean. The computer was about six months out of warrenty when it failed. I called Lenovo to attempt to extend the warranty but they won't once it is out of warranty. Looking for some idea of what failed, whether it is worth getting one of Lenovo's listed companies that repair laptops to look at it and fix the problem.
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,355
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y560P Will Not Boot. Caps Lock and Num Lock lights on.

@MiKershaw wrote:
I have a Ideapad Y560P that shut down suddenly and when we tried to turn it back on, the Caps Lock and Num Lock (on F8 key) lights go on but the computer does not start. I saw a similar thread from 2010 but there was no resolution. I assume that the two lights on at the same time at attempted start indicate some kind of "fault" condition in the computer. I have not been able to get the bios to start so that I could run diagnostics. I pulled the battery and held down power for 30 seconds, pressed start twice, put the battery back in but still won't start. I pulled memory out, trying to get a POST "beep" error but that didn't occur. I put memory back in one dimm at a time. I pulled the Hard Drive out and put it in an external enclosure and was able to extract the information to another laptop so I'm pretty sure I didn't have a hardware Hard Drive failure. Other than the one reference in this forum I haven't seen any information about this kind of, what I assume is a, hardware failure. I assume that Lenovo has some kind of guide that tells them what the lights mean. The computer was about six months out of warrenty when it failed. I called Lenovo to attempt to extend the warranty but they won't once it is out of warranty. Looking for some idea of what failed, whether it is worth getting one of Lenovo's listed companies that repair laptops to look at it and fix the problem.

Hi

In my experirience, these two lights don't mean anything specifically.

The only good and constructive fact given by you is ram, which to some extent  means that the eeprom chip(bios chip) is corrupt and can also mean that a change in CMOS battery is required or the processor too. And it can also mean that some vital part is not connected properly. Though there is possibility that the bios is corrupt. You can try a bios recovery if it by chance fixes it. See this link

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/326954-case-you-kill-your-phoenix-bios-bios-recovery-met...

OR else, i strongly suggest that you should take your laptop to service, they can verify the machine once,

Regards

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
MiKershaw
What's DOS?
Views: 2,343
Message 3 of 4

Ishaan,

Thanks for replying.  I don't have my recovery discs so I'm not sure if I can figure out a way to recover the bios.  I think I will take your second suggestion and take the laptop to a service provider this afternoon.

Thank you again.

Mikie

MiKershaw
What's DOS?
Views: 2,309
Message 4 of 4

I took the laptop to a repair guy listed on the Lenovo website for Las Vegas area (and rated well in Angie's List).  Indicated it was a motherboard failure.  Repairs would cost $310 for parts and $150 for labor.  

Decided not to repair but  replace it with a Dell (I've had better reliability with the Dell laptop I've owned and used at work).  My wife has a really old IBM Thinkpad (from her office) that is still running after about eight years so I though I'd give the Lenovo a try this time when I upgraded.  This Y560P only lasted 18 months.  Just enough time to get off of warranty.

Top Kudoed Authors