Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
o2s360
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,124
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Ideapad Y570 Optimus problem.

Hi everyone. I've had this laptop for about 2.5 years now and it's given me nothing but trouble. First it was the FPS throttling issue while playing games and now this. I'm no longer able to switch to the NVIDIA GPU using the physical switch. The light just remains off. I tried completely formatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows but was able to acheive absolutely nothing at all with that. It used to work perfectly fine until one day I left it idle for a little while and after logging in again, it was running extraordinarily slow. NVIDIA drivers install absolutely fine but whenever I try to access the NVIDIA control panel, it just crashes. I right-click on Computer, select Properties and open the Device Manager and NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M has an exclamation mark on it and it says: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". My NVIDIA drivers are up-to-date (344.75). Your help is greatly appreciated! Smiley Sad

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,105
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y570 Optimus problem.

Welcome to the Lenovo Community,

I'm wondering if the switch isn't dirty or faulty.  With the laptop off, try repeatedly sliding the switch off and on.  If dirt is an issue this may clean the switch contacts. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

o2s360
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,098
Message 3 of 7

I tried doing what you suggested but still nothing. Smiley Sad
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,080
Message 4 of 7

It's a long shot, but try doing a soft reset of the BIOS/CMOS just to rule out any hardware conflicts.  To do, unplug the adapter, remove the battery and press the Power Button for 10 - 15 seconds.  Then reinstall the battery, plug in adapter and power on. 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

o2s360
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,057
Message 5 of 7

Sorry, this didn''t work either. Smiley Sad
I did however notice that the GPU light was either on or off for one windows session randomly if that helps.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,051
Message 6 of 7

Sorry to hear that it didn't work.

When you re-installed the operating system did you install the Chipset Driver and the Intel On-Board graphics drivers ?  If you didn't, maybe the Intel Driver has a direct effect on the Nvidia card.

If that doesn't work, the next thing I would check is the Nvidia switch.  The switch is mounted on the USB card and the card is connected to the motherboard via a cable.  If you are comfortable working inside your laptop I would use a Ohm meter to check the switch to see that it is operating as it should.  I would also try reseating the cable to the motherboard.  Access to the USB card requires that you remove the keyboard bezel which is a fairly easy task. Your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual at the link below will provide directions on how to remove the keyboard bezel.  I've also included a link to a Lenovo Training Video on how to disassembly your laptop.  The videos related to disassembly are listed under the FRU Service section. 

http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%27s%20guides%20and%20manuals/Y470Y570/Lenovo%...

http://service.lenovo.partner-management.com/content/CourseWarePublic/8921/player.html

If the switch and cable are Ok and the problem still persists, I would strongly suspect that the graphics card on the motherboard has failed. 

o2s360
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,048
Message 7 of 7

I'll see what I can do with the disassembly. Thanks for the information! Smiley Happy

EDIT: I installed all of my drivers once again including those. This all just started happening one day when I left my computer idle for some time and it slowed down like crazy (this doesn't happen anymore... atleast I think it doesn't although I've noticed that this happened twice: when the lid is closed and it's on standby, it just automatically wakes up by itself).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors