Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xanek
Punch Card
Views: 7,777
Message 1 of 25

Lenovo Ideapad Y570 - help w/ intel turbo boost

My laptop (lenovo IdeaPad Y570 (08622KU), comes with an i7-2630QM and when I bought it, the description said that it had Turbo Boost, from 2GHz w/o to 2.9GHz with. My problem is that the Intel Turbo Boost is not working.

Is there anything that I can do to make it work? As I have looked through my BIOS and have not seen anything pretaining to it, not even CPU clock speed or nothing, which is wierd, and the BIOS is up-to-date as when I tried to flash my bios it said it was older than the one I already had.

I have downloaded the Intel Turbo Boost Technology monitor 2.0 and I do not see it go above 2.00GHz when I start to play games.

Is there anyway for me to get turbo boost to work?

As I have downloaded Throttlestop and enabled Turbo boost through that way, but it is only temporary, is there any solution on how I can get it to work or get it to work through BIOS?

Former Employee
Views: 7,719
Message 2 of 25

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y570 - help w/ intel turbo boost

hey Xanek,

we would like you to go here :http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=867235

cross check the bios and all other software in the page above with what you have on your system and update accordingly.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Xanek
Punch Card
Views: 7,698
Message 3 of 25

Everything is up to date, Also I've noticed that there is no Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver located in that support link for the laptop, why is that?

I also contacted Intel and they said this

"By the way make sure that the Enhance Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology is disabled, since this feature will force the processor to run slower in order to save power consumption
so if the Enhance Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology is enabled, the turbo boost will not work"

"By going into the BIOS of the laptop and looking for the right option, usually it is called (EIST), but the name of the option might be changed by the laptop manufacturer so if you cannot find it, I would suggest contacting the laptop manufacturer so they can guide you on how to find it"

Xanek
Punch Card
Views: 7,688
Message 4 of 25

I have contacted Lenovo support through the phone and he has no solution to my current problem.

He said my current BIOS version is not up-to-date, but according to the BIOS update it says the the current ROM is not new than that of BIOS.

he said to wait for a newer bios version or to check if my BIOS had Lenovo Fast Boot and Intel Virtual Technology as those might help.

Though my bios does not have Lenovo Fast Boot and Intel Virtual Technology is not helping my processor go faster

Is there any solution to this at all or is there not? As I find it very misleading and unprofessional for a company to advertise a laptop that does not have exactly what it says in the description on websites that they are vendoring to.

Guru
Views: 7,610
Message 5 of 25

Hi Xanek

Try updating Intel Chipset drivers:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20019&ProductFamily=Chipse...

Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&lang=eng

Update your Intel iGPU also, it should contain the Turbo Boost driver

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20391&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...

Hopefully your problem could be resolved. You may ask Lenovo Support to escalate the case to R&D to report problem and they would release a new driver / BIOS to resolve your problems.

Cheers! :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4 (ThinkMix V2)!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Lapt​ops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M155... 

Xanek
Punch Card
Views: 7,604
Message 6 of 25

How do I tell if the Turbo Boost Driver is actually installed? As I did download the iGPU update and I have no idea how to check.

Also how do I "escalate it to R&D"?

Xanek
Punch Card
Views: 7,586
Message 7 of 25

Also, how long will it take for them to create a new BIOS update if it is escalated?
Xanek
Punch Card
Views: 7,573
Message 8 of 25

What am I suppose to do now??

Sorry for multi-posting but just trying to get this solved ASAP

Turbo boost (if there is even one) should be working as I have ran 2 high processing games, "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" and "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" with intel's turbo boost technology MONITOR 2.0 and the speed never goes above 2.00ghz where it should be going from 2.00ghz~2.90ghz as it was advertised.

Here is the link that I bought it from

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246151

The processor says:

i7 2630QM(2.00GHz)

6MB L3 Cache
Turbo Boost up to 2.90GHz

which if you google that processor, it says that there is turbo boost

http://ark.intel.com/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-%286M-Cache-2_00-GHz%29

Max Turbo Frequency: 2.9 GHz
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

So why is this not working?

I have called Lenovo twice now and the second time they only suggested to downoad the Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor 2.0, which does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to actually make the processor go above 2.00ghz as it only MONITORS.

I am losing my patience with the support from the actual lenovo company via phone as they have been providing me with information that does not pretain to my current situtation.

If there is something to do in the BIOS that was removed from Lenovo, why even make a laptop that has a core i7 2630QM if you cannot enable or even get turbo boost to work on the product?

Edit: 3RD TIME CALLING

"Tech Support" if you will so call it, told me that the specifications says it will run at 2.00ghz and will not go above it so people cannot 'modify" the speed of the processor. WHAT?

IT IS CLEARLY STATED FROM MULTIPLE WEBSITES THAT TURBO BOOST SHOULD BE ENABLED.

WHY WOULD LENOVO CLEARLY REMOVE THE CAPABILITY OF TURBO BOOST WHEN IT IS ADVERTISED ON VENDORS AND ON INTEL'S WEBSITE THAT THE CORE I7 2630QM SHOULD INDEED HAVE TURBO BOOST TECHNOLOGY 2.0 ENABLED?

The 'tech support' said that it should be up to intel's decision whether or not to have it enabled, again, what????

Intel would by default have it enabled, otherwise why would they put that processor which has the capability be disabled?

WHERE IN THE BIOS IS IT TO WHERE I CAN ENABLE EIST (ENHANCE INTEL SPEEDSTEP TECHNOLOGY) ??????????

IS IT RENAMED? IS IT HIDDEN? IS IT DISABLED? WAS IT REMOVED?

I am demanding that I get some direct answers from the Lenovo ASAP as this is false advertising and misleading

Here is a direct copy & paste chat log from Intel's live chat support

Adolfo: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Chat Support service. We are glad to be of service. How may I help you?
: Hi, I have a question about my laptop.
: When I bought it, the descriptions said that the processor had intel turbo boost, which it would make my 2.0ghz processor goto 2.8ghz
: But I have not noticed at all any changes in the processor speed, and I have the intel turbo boost technology monitor 2.0 to see if it actually is boosting the cpu speed, but it only stays at 2.0ghz
Adolfo: Please keep in mind that the turbo boost technology is handled by the operating system, so the operating system is the one that will determine when to use turbo boot, this feature is usually required when the operating system determined that a very heavy application is running, like 3D game or video / photo editing software.
Adolfo: I would suggest installing the latest BIOS version for your laptop to and also running the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility to determine if the processor is being properly recognized.
Adolfo: Also install the latest updates available for the operating system and any other running software
: Where do I get the Intel processor identification utility?
Adolfo: but other than that, the operating system will decide when to use the tubo boot and when not to use it.
Adolfo: You can download the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility at:
Adolfo: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/
: Ok, though if everything is working as it should
: I have ran 3D games before and looked at the intel turbo boost technology monitor and it only runs at 2.00ghz
Adolfo: By the way make sure that the Enhance Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology is disabled, since this feature will force the processor to run slower in order to save power consumption
Adolfo: so if the Enhance Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology is enabled, the turbo boost will not work
: how do I check that?
Adolfo: By going into the BIOS of the laptop and looking for the right option, usually it is called (EIST), but the name of the option might be changed by the laptop manufacturer so if you cannot find it, I would suggest contacting the laptop manufacturer so they can guide you on how to find it.
: Ok.
: Also for the Intel Processor Identification Utility, what should I be looking for exactly?
: it says the reported is 2.0ghz, and expected is 2.0ghz
Adolfo: Ok if it reports the right processor and the right speed 2.0 GHz, it means it is being properly recognized, there should also be an option that let you see if the EIST is enabled or disabled
: Ok, and as you said, if I do not see EIST on my BIOS i have to contact my laptop manufactuer?
Adolfo: yes
: What happens if my laptop manufacturer happens to not know what that is or cannot help me with it?
Adolfo: In some cases the laptop manufacturer might not even show this option, but please keep in mind that since we do not manufacture laptop systems we are not familiar with them
Adolfo: so we cannot control the option that they enable or disable on the BIOS of their systems
Adolfo: If this option is not available, it means that either is enabled by default from the manufacture, or disabled by default from the manufacturer
Adolfo: but only they will be able to tell you
: Ok, thanks for the information
Adolfo: If you are satisfied with our support, please score items with 5 in the online survey that will be shown once you close this chat window.  We value your feedback and will use it to make our services better.

====================================================

Here is another intel live chat transcript

Yogesh: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Chat Support service. We are glad to be of service. How may I help you?
: Hi, I have a question about a processor for a laptop
: The processor is a Intel Core i7 2630QM for laptops
: I purchased a laptop containing that processor (Lenovo Ideapad Y570) and it was advertised on Newegg.com and from intel's website that it should have Turbo Boost technology 2.0
: the processor by default is set at a steady 2.00ghz when using applications that don't require it to go above, but I have ran 3d applications like the game "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" and "call of duty: Modern warfare 3"
: and I have used Intel's Turbo Boost Technology monitor to see if the processor would go above 2.00ghz
: but it does not
: I have inquired both the live chat before and lenovo's tech support via phone 3 times and i have not gotten an answer on why it is not turbo boosting the processor
: intel's live chat said that the BIOS should have EIST (Enhance intel Speedstep technology) somewhere in the BIOS but i have checked before
: and they said that the manufacturer hast he ability to rename or disable it from the BIOS
: and i was wondering is there anyway of enabling the turbo boost technology on this laptop via BIOS or a driver download? As Lenovo's phone tech support has given me answers that do not help me solve this problem
Yogesh: Lioncel, to keep you informed Turbo Boost Technology should be enabled in BIOS. So hence regarding the enablement of the same please contact Laptop manufacturer only they can help you.
Yogesh: Also to keep you informed there are drivers for chipset/motherboard and there are no drivers for processor.
: my BIOS does not have EIST or anything that has the descriptino of turbo boost there
: and my chipset is up to date but my motherboard is InsydeH2O and I have no idea a valid website for any updates
: my manufacturer has updates listed on their website but they are all out of date compared to the default ones that I have
Yogesh: Lioncel, your Laptop manufacturer have the ability to hide some BIOS options, so only the Laptop manufacturer can help you regarding the same.
: I have contacted about this problem but they have no clue about it at all
Yogesh: I am sorry to inform you that regarding your request I don't have any information.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,510
Message 9 of 25

Hi Xanek,

I just tested in my Y560p 'Lenovo Energy Management' settings:

when I set 'Maximum CPU Speed:' to Low, turbo boost is disabled!

so you may try:

in 'Lenovo Energy Management' select High Performance, then under Display and System tabs

set everything to Never and 'Maximum CPU Speed:' to High.

Zehn

Xanek
Punch Card
Views: 7,503
Message 10 of 25

That did not do anything Zehnsteine

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors