Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 2 (616 Views)

Lenovo Ideapad Y580 - Keyboard Issue

I've been using this laptop for around a year or so now, and it's worked perfectly up until this point in time. 

The issue that I'm currently having is entirely mechanical. At the moment, my keyboard is intact and works just fine. However, if I press a key, (mainly the 'e' key) off-center, it pops the entire key up and I have to click it into place. It's not life-threatening or crucial to the machine's function, but when I am busy typing papers or lesson plans, having a key on the most constantly used vowel key continually pop up really puts a dampener in things.

I've taken the key out and have tried to click it back in. While I can't see what's going on (given that there's a key in the way!), I can most certainly feel it clicking into place twice, both clicks stemming from the right side of the 'e' key. It seems that, to the best of my knowledge, only two out of four prongs that are meant to keep the key in place and in line are actually snapping and holding the key down. Whenever I type off-center and to the right, the entire left side of the key snaps up and must be pushed back into place.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can or should do. Given that I've had my machine for over a year now, I'm unsure if my warranty still covers it (speaking of, is there a way to check warranty status online?).

Please, if anyone has any advice on how to fix or replace a busted key/keyboard, please, let me know!

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 2 (168 Views)

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y580 - Keyboard Issue

[ Edited ]

A replacement keyboard (chicony, oki, or dafon are the makers - be sure to look for the manufacturer label and p/n right below the lenovo p/n on the back to get a genuine keyboard) would make a good spares, they are about $30 on ebay.

I replaced a broken key on a few different laptops but much prefer to swap out the entire keyboard.  Once a single key goes bad it's likely that more keys will start to fail (note that 'e' is perhaps the most commonly used key on your keyboard because it's the most popular vowel.  Other popular keys like 't' might be failing sometime soon).  So I would suggest you buy a spare keyboard and save it until you can't live without it, the procedure to replace the keyboard is a 10 minute swap.

If you want to replace a key, a sharp tipped (xacto-style) knife blade, and a loupe (magnifying lens) are important accessories.  Buy from a reputable site which has good instructions ( http://www.laptopkey.com/ ).  Unfortunately, the key and hinge are manufacturer-specific (OKI, Chicony, Dafon, see above) so you will need to determine it from the guide on www.laptopkey.com.  When I fixed our Acer c720 I also used needlenose pliers to bend a metal tab back into place, the key hinge wasn't seating correctly because the metal tab had bent and was open too wide.  The Acer c720 has a nightmare keyboard to replace with 75 different locking plastic tabs that bind it to the undersize of the palmrest, so i had little choice but to replace the single key or buy an entire keyboard/palmrest assembly.

Thinkpad T-series keyboards are like the hood of a car, just pop 2-4 screws and push towards the LCD, then it pivots open like a hood and you can remove the connectors and install a new one's connectors and screw it down in 5-10 mins.  The 2-4 screws to remove often have a little picture of a keyboard on the back of the laptop or search for "Lenovo Y580 Hardware Maintenance Manual" and download the instructions for all the repairs to your laptop.

Top kudoed Authors