Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Egger
Punch Card
Views: 903
Message 1 of 22

Lenovo Ideapad Y580 major problem.

I am very concerned about a big issue that my new (2 weeks) computer is having, I don´t know if it is Hardwere problem or Softwere. 

The problem is this, when I'm using the computer, with any program, or is just in home screen, suddenly everything freezes and becomes unusable. Around 10 minutes in the same situation the following message appear(image attached). After this messge the system try to recover and I press the Turn Off/On button for 5 seconds and the computer restart normally, windows did not even feel the problem.

What can I do!?? the computer is completely inutilisable! On a single day this happens about 3-4 times.

Thanks in advance!

Link to image

David

Moderator comment: Image(s) >50KB (or totaling >50KB) converted to link(s). Community Rules.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 897
Message 2 of 22

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y580 major problem.

It can be that the HDD is overheating and thus shutting itself off while in use since Y580 is known to have HDD temps reaching 60 °C which is above safe HDD operating temperatures. When the system becomes fully operational, monitor your HDD temps and see if it's good.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Former Employee
Views: 885
Message 3 of 22

Hi Egger,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Based from your post it may have to do with your HDD but one thing I'd like to confirm is that if your machine is running on Win8 or Win7?

Do let me know,

Regards
Egger
Punch Card
Views: 875
Message 4 of 22

Right now I downloaded the softwere to measure temperature, I will see what happens and any news I will let you know. By the time I see that the highest temperature achieved today is 58 °...
Egger
Punch Card
Views: 874
Message 5 of 22

Sorry, I forgot to give that information. The computer came with Windows 8.

Regards!

Former Employee
Views: 847
Message 6 of 22

Hi Egger,

thanks for posting back, Could you possibly try the drivers below and let me know of the changes.

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/0pme03w8.exe

hope this helps.

Regards
DaNiC
Punch Card
Views: 823
Message 7 of 22

Hey, i've also been getting high HDD temps..
How could these drivers help?

And another question, would you think that moving the HDD to the optical drive bay would result in lower temps for the HDD seeing as how it's further away from the CPU/GPU area.

I hope this isn't too much of a crazy request but it would help alot if someone at the Lenovo labs tried this and tell us here on the forums if the HDD temps do go down, that way we would know what to do..

Thanks.
Egger
Punch Card
Views: 785
Message 8 of 22

Well, I installed the drivers that you gave me and the computer has been running for almost 6 hours and did not turned off suddenly, but now it hangs and after a few minutes it freezes. This happened almost 45 minutes ago and right now it is in the same situation.

It is windows problem?

I am very concerned, because is my working tool, and can not use it.

Former Employee
Views: 738
Message 9 of 22

Hi Egger,

This begining to sound like a driver conflict from what I gather here. Ok, could you try this out quickly, Go to the "Control Panel" > "Programs & Features" > Uninstall "Intel Management Firmware Interface". Once done reboot your machine and then reinstall the driver I posted earlier.

Do let me know how it goes.

Regards
Egger
Punch Card
Views: 721
Message 10 of 22

Hi NINE

Nope,  I did what you told me and it did not work. It keep freezing for no apparent reason.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors