Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronreay
Paper Tape
Views: 2,103
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Ideapad Z500 won't start

I've recently started experiencing issues with my Ideapad Z500. The warranty has expried, and so i cannot send it off to get repaired.

I've replaced the laptop charger, with multiple different ones, all working, and yet it will still not charge.

It will not turn on when plugged into the mains. I've attempted to remove the battery, and power through the mains, and yet it will still not power on.

I've replaced the internal power jack (one which connects to the motherboard), and yet it will still not charge.

There is no visible signs on the motherboard as to scorch marks where it could of shorted out. 

From my point of view, everything is as it should be, but the laptop will just not power on at all. Any ideas on what can be done to get this working again?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,084
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Z500 won't start

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear about the charging problem.  From what you have described and tried about the only thing left is to replace the motherboard.  The motherboard may have damage that isn't visible and without the proper testing equipment it would be difficult to locate.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

aaronreay
Paper Tape
Views: 2,071
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the repsonse

I was afraid that would be the answer.

Do you know the best retailer to purchase a new motherboard from, even if it's second hand.

Every website i've visited so far has quoted around £200, which is pretty much what the whole unit is worth now.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,065
Message 4 of 5

If it doen't try to start either its power PCB if separate I don't know. Overheated CPU might also have killed it. You could try reseating it. Nothing to loose.

You are better off picking up something newer and working than rebuilding it. Used motherboard pull may have a problem as well even though it fires up. No guarantee so you take your chances. Take it to a notebook repair depot at least that way you have someone to go back to if there is still a problem. Either way it may cost more than you like to pay. Ebay might have something but might not be 100% either. 

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,058
Message 5 of 5

aaronreay,  as tripplec suggested I would check with eBay in your country for a motherboard.  That is a good source for parts on older computers at a good price. I've fix a variety of computers using eBay purchased parts and to-date I haven't encountered a problem.  In a couple of instances where the part arrived dead, the seller quickly replaced with no need to return the original. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors