cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niks6061
Paper Tape
Views: 267
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Ideapad Z560 shuts down while working in normal mode of smart noise control button

I have a lenovo z560 laptop. This model has a touch button called as smart noise control which has two modes mainly. One is normal mode and other is silent mode. As per user manual in normal mode the fan works at higher speed and for silent mode it works in slow speed resuting in less heat dissipiation.

smart noise control.JPG

My laptop automatically gets shut down when i opt for normal mode and the core temperature readings are quite high i.e around 85-90 degree C. So it trips as soon it reaches 90. While I choose silent mode the temperature is around 75-80 degree C and thus it does not shut down but it works very sluggishly.

Please suggest me how to overcome this problem. What could be the solution?

Gabo_mty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 263
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Z560 shuts down while working in normal mode of smart noise control button

Can you actually hear the fan working when switching to normal mode? does it make a louder noise than silent mode?

The only way to get hotter than in slient mode is if fan is not working properly.

is this laptop more than 5 years old? if so, it may need a maintenance job to replace its thermal paste and fan cleaning.
niks6061
Paper Tape
Views: 260
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Z560 shuts down while working in normal mode of smart noise control button

Yes it is more than 5 years old. I can hear louder voice of  fan while switching to normal mode. I did one thing right now and it has helped a little bit i.e I changed the setting in power option of system cooling policy with plugged in to Passive from Active.

Capture.JPG

It has lowered the temperature a little bit and now it has not shut down from last 10 min, still the temp reaches 88-89 sometimes I open any application.

The thermal paste was changed arppoximately 3 year ago.

Gabo_mty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 253
Message 4 of 6

Great!
However, I strongly suggest you to perform a maintenance to your laptop, it will reduce the temperature a lot, and will give some more years of life to it.

Computers use a thermal paste to transfer the heat produced by the processor among some copper tubes and then the fan cool them down. When a computer is more than 5 years old this thermal paste is solidified and the heat cannot be proper transfered to these copper tubes.

If you dont want to take your laptop to a service you can do it yourself. Is not that hard.

All you will need to do this is a thermal tube paste, you can buy it for 2dls or so, and a screwdriver.

you can find lots of videos in Youtube on how to do it (just type: dissasembly Lenovo Ideapad Z560).

If you decided to do it yourself and have further doubts please dont hesitate in letting me know.

Regards
niks6061
Paper Tape
Views: 179
Message 5 of 6

I have changed thermal paste by myself. It was not that dried but yes it was not properly applied. So i removed it and re-applied as shown in below image. 

thermal.jpg

After this the temperature has reduced by roughly 5-7 degrees. The normal tempratures were 55-62 when no work was done. I am happy with this.

niks6061
Paper Tape
Views: 178
Message 6 of 6

There is one strange problem which I observed today. i.e my laptop gets shut down even after changing the paste when I kept it idle for more than 5 mins.

I observed one strange pattern. I set a timer to watch its behaviour. After 5 mins of starting it ON and keeping it idle the temp started rising and suddenly CPU utilization increased even when I was not doing anything as shown in image attached.1.jpg

I opened task manager to check which process is using my CPU. 

Again after keeping it idle for 5-6 min temp started rising suddenly and the image is as follows.

3.jpg

So i got to know that there is a process called mscorsvw.exe which was using CPU. After next 5-6 min of inactivity the reading were.

4.jpg

Now even more strange thing is as soon as I move my mouse the temperature decreases suddenly and that process disappears. System starts cooling down and temp get back to normal reading of 58-64 degree after 2-3 mins.

5.jpg

Now I decided to not touch the mouse and see what happens. The temp started rising after 5-6 min of inactivity and it ept on rising to values as shown.

6.jpg

Thats when I touched the mouse and again it started to reduce the temp. So one thing is clear that this process is the culpit and it would have caused system to shut down if I would not have moved the mouse.

How is it possible that microsoft . NET is causing such problem?

What should be the solution?

Please guide...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors