Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drumovski
Paper Tape
Views: 340
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Ideapad Z570 Bios Recovery

I recently upgraded my z570 with more ram and an SSD
Reinstalled windows 10 from a disk and everything is ok but now the machine does not shut down all the way. I get a black screen and I have to hold down the power button to turn it off completely. Same with restart.
I've tried every known solution online for win 10 issues with shutdown and nothing works. Ive updated all the drivers from the lenovo site.
The only thin I haven't tried is a bios update
Whenever I run the 45CN38WW.exe file I get a blue screen of death with this error message -
page fault in non page area
I've also tried running as administrator but that doesn't change the BSOD. It looks like it fails when trying to read the current bios
I've pulled the CMOS battery to reset the bios but this didn't help.
I've looked at the phoenix crysis tool here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/Bios-Recovery-For-ideapad-laptops/m-p/8...
The instructions say to rename the .wph file but I don't have a wph file... all I have is the exe file that I can't run.
Where can I find the actual .wph bios file to use in the phoenix crysis tool?

Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 301
Message 2 of 6

Betreff: Lenovo Ideapad Z570 Bios Recovery

The actual BIOS file is found in the temporary files folder (enter %temp% in the address bar in Windows Explorer) in the subfolder WinFlash. The folder also contains a FvRecovery.fd file which is slightly larger than the BIOS1.wph. It doesn't run because the software is meant to be run off Windows XP or Windows 7, not Windows 10 (and Lenovo is known to restrict it even when the version of Windows 10 is wrong).

Z570BIOS.PNG

After you ran the updater file, the folder will be created and should remain in the temporary direction. Its file contents look like this.

The other problem is, it is not unusual for Intel Sandy Bridge devices to not properly shut down with Windows 10. You could install Windows 10 via Legacy instead of EFI if that is an option for you. I was using an older ThinkCentre M72e tower with Intel Sandy Bridge hardware, that has the same problem. It is not fixable by a BIOS update because the systems are not made for Windows 10. Some systems of the same type did not do this, mostly the ones that were installed using Legacy. This is also shown by the files "Slp20.pfae" and "OemSlp20.efi". The SLP stands for "System Locked Pre-installation" which was used for Windows 7 devices to just work with the provided Windows 7 licence key on the device in conjunction with the systems serial number. That doesn't exist to that degree since Windows 8 as the key is saved right in the BIOS and the never SLP versions use the key right from the BIOS to activate it Windows.

Is your system installed using EFI or Legacy?

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)
drumovski
Paper Tape
Views: 279
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Seems I've got UEFI.

The computer not shutting down issue doesn't happen when I plug the old HDD in (also installed with windows 10 upgraded from the original 7) which makes me think its the SSD or the fresh install of win 10. The issue started as soon as the SSD was in and I was installing win 10.

I was hoping a bios update might fix it because in the release notes of bios version 45CN36WW:

Fixed the hang up issue when installing non-OEM version Windows 7 Operation system.

Found that temp folder and the bios1.wph file thanks. Now having another issue with the lenovo phoenix crysis tool that it doesn't recognise having a USB stick inserted. I tried several and none were over 4 gig. I tried to find a different Phoenix flash tool online and went here: https://www.wimsbios.com/phoenixflasher.jsp

downloaded the windows UEFI flasher but it didn't recognise the bios1.wph file as a bios file. I wouldn't have thought flashing a bios would be this hard. I think I'm just going to give up and live with powering down manually.

Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 273
Message 4 of 6

@drumovski  schrieb:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Seems I've got UEFI.

The computer not shutting down issue doesn't happen when I plug the old HDD in (also installed with windows 10 upgraded from the original 7) which makes me think its the SSD or the fresh install of win 10. The issue started as soon as the SSD was in and I was installing win 10.

I was hoping a bios update might fix it because in the release notes of bios version 45CN36WW:

Fixed the hang up issue when installing non-OEM version Windows 7 Operation system.

Found that temp folder and the bios1.wph file thanks. Now having another issue with the lenovo phoenix crysis tool that it doesn't recognise having a USB stick inserted. I tried several and none were over 4 gig. I tried to find a different Phoenix flash tool online and went here: https://www.wimsbios.com/phoenixflasher.jsp

downloaded the windows UEFI flasher but it didn't recognise the bios1.wph file as a bios file. I wouldn't have thought flashing a bios would be this hard. I think I'm just going to give up and live with powering down manually.

And that is it. Windows 7, not Windows 10. I still think it is related to UEFI. Try installing it using Legacy mode. It should not happen again. UEFI has no practical, noticeable advantages on most systems anyway.

drumovski
Paper Tape
Views: 242
Message 5 of 6

Fixed !

I had a look at changing to legacy bios but my bios screen had no options to change.

I decided to go back to windows 7 to try the update bios exe from Lenovo and that worked. Now on the latest bios and that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks very much for all your help!!!!

Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 228
Message 6 of 6

Yes, older Lenovo devices seem to not offer the settings for UEFI or Legacy, they just decide upon which to use by you choosing what installer you want, Legacy or UEFI. The fact that you installed it in Legacy most likely fixed it, not the BIOS update. I can tell from experience because I was using multiple Lenovo devices (of the same type, Think from that time period with all different BIOS revisions, some with the latest, some with a really old one. Proper shutdown was only possible on those installed via Legacy, but all in UEFI had the same problem as you, But great to hear that it worked!

Maybe your BIOS has a CSM setting, that is the same as Legacy vs. UEFI. CSM stands for Compatibility Support Module (regular BIOS functionality), disabling it runs it in UEFI. If you enabled CSM, you can choose both options for setup.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors