12-10-2019

HK

5 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Legion Y740 Screen Defect problem

2019-12-10, 13:42 PM
Hi everyone, posting for my friend who has bought a Lenovo Legion Y740.

Some quick backstory, this is his second Lenovo Legion Y740 that has been sent to him. The first one he received had some screen defect so they resent him a new one.

Basically, after two weeks of usage on the new one, there was a sudden black spot on the top left corner of the laptop while he was using Microsoft Word. He contacted Lenovo and they claimed that such damage is only possible externally or in extreme conditions which is not covered by their warranty, all without making an inspection.

However, my friend only got the laptop for 2 weeks and it's been sitting on top of his table in room temperature most of the time, so there is no way that it can be external damage.

And, they claimed that their product should be without defect, which basically them saying that my friend was the one who caused the damage, without even making an inspection. They later sent an engineer to check the laptop, and the engineer said there was no external damage and suspected an internal leak (once again, without opening it up to check).

As of now, the exchange has been going on for over a month, and my friend is getting very frustrated at how Lenovo just keep asking him to pay for the repairs. So I would like to ask what can my friend do regarding this situation?

This is Lenovo Hong Kong that we're dealing with btw, if this information is useful
Options

10 Posts

11-14-2019

US

15 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Legion Y740 Screen Defect problem

2019-12-10, 14:47 PM

I'm 75 days now into trying to get my brand new X1C7 that shipped defective repaired, replaced, or now just refunded. They finally agreee to a refund 2 weeks ago. Today's excuse on why I haven't received the refund is that they have to receive the machine back first; the machine they've had attempting to repair for 75 days now...  This is the new Lenovo. Good Luck!

Options

7946 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32490 Signins

1199110 Page Views

• Views: 1199110
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-12-10, 17:53 PM

Hello , welcome to the Community,

Does your friend have photos or received photos made by the depot which clearly picture the issue at hand? From the description alone it's not going to be possible for members to offer their take on the situation. Perhaps post some pictures to help others provide opinions on?

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2 Posts

12-10-2019

HK

5 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-12-11, 13:13 PM

Hi Andy_Lenovo,

First of all, thank you for the reply. Did not expect to get a reply from an Admin and I do appreciate it.

As you asked, here are the photos:

Photo 1 - you can clearly see the date 10 October 2019, and the top right hand corner of the problem. My friend has boxed the laptop and did not open it ever since that day.

Photo 2 - you can clearly see the date 11 December 2019, and how the damage has progressed, even though he did not use the laptop at all. (he took it out of the box and turn it on today to take the photo to me)

Based on the first photo, Lenovo HK claimed through email that, and I quote:

We are deeply sorry to learn about your unpleasant experience with the problem of the machine.  Regarding your comment on the problem of LCD broken, we would like to state that the major components of LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) are glass plate and liquid crystal.  The glass plate is used to cover and protect the liquid crystal underneath which is fragile.  Hence, the liquid crystal damages whilst the glass plate may or may not have crack.  However, in normal operation, the LCD will not crack and cracks happen usually due to abnormal pressure exerted or extreme temperature change.  Again, as per our previous reply dated November 6, 2019, please rest assured on our product quality. 

Besides, regarding the problem of LCD broken reported by you, as per our previous reply dated November 6, 2019, we would like to restate that, such damage was diagnosed as a non-natural damage that falls beyond Lenovo’s warranty service.  In addition, according to Customer induced damage (CID) guide – laptops and desktops, under Liquid Crystal Display (LCD), it stipulates that “the internal glass has cracked and has liquid crystal inside the display panel along the crack” is defined as CID to the machine.  Accordingly, under this circumstance, only paid repairing service could be provided to the machine in accordance with our Company’s policy.  We are happy that our Technical Support Hotline, Service Center Hotline and Customer Care Team staff explained the above-mentioned to you.  We sincerely hope to obtain your kind understanding for the aforesaid explanation and arrangement. 

Nevertheless, as per our previous reply dated November 6, 2019, in order to maximize customer satisfaction, our Service Center specially offered you a revised special offer to replace the LCD panel at HKD1,300 and labor surcharge at HKD380 for your re-consideration and we really hope that it will be accepted by you.  We regret to learn that the revised special offer on LCD panel replacement stated in our previous reply is closed on November 19, 2019.  Aiming at optimizing customer satisfaction, we would like to re-open the above-mentioned offer for our re-consideration.  It would be appreciated for you to contact our Service Center on or before December 10, 2019 to proceed with the aforesaid special arrangement if such revised offer is accepted by you. 

Also the timeline of this issue with Lenovo

2019-09-07: The date he received his first Lenovo Y740

2019-09-18: The date that he received the second Lenovo Y740 (because the previous one also had a defect)

2019-10-10: The date that the issue happened.

Aside from that, Lenovo's technician came in and did an exterior inspection and told my friend that there are no external damage.

Despite all these, based on the email I quoted above, Lenovo HK is extremely sure that their product quality is top notch (despite this being my friend's second Y740 because the first one was defected too), and claimed that there is no way that the damage can be on Lenovo's side.

Moreover, they keep on shoving their HKD1,300 + HKD380 (USD215) discount down my friend's throat. Like c'mon man, my friend is still a student, he worked part-time and saved up to buy this laptop, which is HKD15,799 (USD2,022), and on his second Y740, it broke after a few weeks and they're still asking him to pay for it? Without even opening it up to see what's the problem inside? It's just utterly ridiculous and I can't imagine how frustrated my friend have been (since I'm already this frustrated with the situation).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete