cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
headhunta32
Paper Tape
Views: 1,870
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo P500 -- quiet static/scratchy sound issue.

I recently purchased a Lenovo P500 with Windows 8. The computer seems to work great, and I don't seem to be having any functionality issues.

However, there is a quiet sound emitting from (as far as I can tell) the right side of the laptop. The sound is hard to describe, but it sounds something like static or brief scratching. The sound is intermittent and not constant, and seems to be, though not always, associated with screen activity (like moving the mouse or clicking on a program).

The sound is only noticeable in a quiet environment, or when I put my ear very close to the laptop. The sound is quiet enough that it's not really distracting or annoying. I just wonder whether it signifies a serious problem with the laptop.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-comer/computer-issue

Here is a recording of the sound (which starts approximately 10 seconds into the recording). Played through the speakers, it sounds much, much louder than what I hear in real life.

Edit:  I guess I should also note that the sound occurs both when my speakers are muted and un-muted.

headhunta32
Paper Tape
Views: 1,828
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo P500 -- quiet static/scratchy sound issue.

Just wanted to update and say that, after I haven't moved the cursor and the after the computer has been dormant for a few minutes, the sound sometimes stops. Anyone?

headhunta32
Paper Tape
Views: 1,809
Message 3 of 6

So it's now been occurring for a week now. I still haven't encountered any noticeable performance problems. Any thoughts?

eric63
What's DOS?
Views: 1,784
Message 4 of 6

My P500 makes the same sound. I thought it might just be something writing like a hard drive but I can't be sure.

I still hear the sound when I mute my speakers, so it's not the speakers, and it makes that sound even when I'm working on my workstation and the laptop is just sitting there next to me doning nothing. I can see how that might be annoying when the room is quiet.

I've never owned a laptop that made that sound unless it was doing some tough calculations.

headhunta32
Paper Tape
Views: 1,756
Message 5 of 6

Have you found anything that helps the sound? 

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,748
Message 6 of 6

It's the hard drive. I changed my power plan settings to never turn off hard drive while plugged in and the scratchy sound never happened again. Now it only occurs when I'm on battery since I turn the HDD off after 10 minutes of idling to get more battery life.

EDIT/update: I listened to the sound you uploaded, and I'm now 100% sure it's the hard drive click sound while it's being used. It's perfectly normal to hear the HDD chugging only in extremely quiet environment. If you hear the HDD clicking/scratchy sound on a little louder environment such as a library, your hard drive may soon start to wear out.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors