Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 159 (80,957 Views)

Lenovo Pre-instaling adware/spam - Superfish - powerd by VisualSearch

[ Edited ]

Received a y50 5 days ago. 

First thing i done was download chrome and already noticed when i google search, adware adverts appear into the search results.

These are cleverly designed to fit into the search results to make them appear to look normal.

So today i got some time to investigate and narrowed it down to a piece of software called Superfish. I check the install date and ......its the 1 month before purchase when all the other lenovo bloatware was installed.

Lenovo why are you adding adware to your y50 that hijacks search results on any browser ?

is it not enough that customers buy a laptop from you?

lenovo superfish.PNGo

lenovo superfish example.jpgsearch results2.jpg

Guru
Message 2 of 159 (80,734 Views)

Re: Lenovo Pre-instaling adware/spam - Superfish - powerd by VisualSearch

Personally, I wipe all stock OSes and install a fresh copy of my own. This is out of line, however.
W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 159 (80,720 Views)

iknorr wrote:

Received a y50 5 days ago. 

First thing i done was download chrome and already noticed when i google search, adware adverts appear into the search results.

These are cleverly designed to fit into the search results to make them appear to look normal.

So today i got some time to investigate and narrowed it down to a piece of software called Superfish. I check the install date and ......its the 1 month before purchase when all the other lenovo bloatware was installed.

Lenovo why are you adding adware to your y50 that hijacks search results on any browser ?

is it not enough that customers buy a laptop from you?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I think all manufacturer are adding bloatware in their system. So the practice is, for every owner the first thing that one should do is to remove them or do a clean install of the OS.

Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 159 (80,715 Views)

Yeah, bloatware is one thing....but adware that scans what your searching for and then changes the search so that you buy through their company affiliate, is very different...thats a new one for me.

Community Moderator
Message 5 of 159 (80,695 Views)

Hi iknorr,

It appears that you had what is considered a Potentially Unwanted Program on there.  Please see THIS article for more information.  There are several simple tools that can be used to remove PUP's. That makes it easier than reinstalling Windows. If you need more information on how to remove one or more PUP's please post back and I'll be glad to help you.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Blue Screen Again
Message 6 of 159 (80,686 Views)

[ Edited ]

Adware...is usually considered a little bit more devious then potentially unwanted program/bloatware.

This is not "standard" bloatware. This is adware. 

Whatever you call it, **bleep** are Lenovo doing installing it on new systems? To squeeze a few more pennies out of customers? Seriously....

Do you think most users want this on their computer? Is lenovo trying to hide software on their systems? What else are you hiding in there that we havent found yet?

I didnt see it on the brochure saying the Lenovo Y50 is riddled with bloatware and adware?

Edit: also you should consider your use of "you" in your post. Its not just me...its every y50 lenovo produces.....

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 159 (80,296 Views)

Got this on the Z40 too. Its bad enough that this crap messes with search results but we had it corrupting some web sites as well. JetBlue and kbb,com wouldn't render correctly and it appears the PC was badly infected with a virus.

This was my first Lenovo and it looks like it will be my last. 

Community Moderator
Message 8 of 159 (80,284 Views)

benmccann wrote:

it appears the PC was badly infected with a virus.

Hi benmccann,

Welcome to Lenovo Community.

I'm sorry that you had to deal with a virus. Other than the Superfish app which may be considered a potentially unwanted application, do you recall what the virus was and which security scanner identified and cleaned it?

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 159 (80,259 Views)

[ Edited ]

Why not just return your unit and get another brand which does not have any bloatware/adware etc? I think Microsoft's units are the only ones that will be able to satisfy this condition.

Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 159 (80,252 Views)

Adware, another name for spyware which is basically a back door trojan.

Think Lenovo gets 30 pieces of silver to stab customers in the back?

Top Kudoed Authors