Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 21 of 159 (178,966 Views)

Re: Lenovo Pre-instaling adware/spam - Superfish - powerd by VisualSearch

I just bought a Lenovo G50 Notebook. And as you might guess it's also "infected" with PUP (a SuperFish Software (that's the one which displays ads on webpages)).

So, now i try to clean up a brand new device. Sounds a bit absurd. What do you think?

PUP’s = Potentially Unwanted Programs

btw. PUPs is in german just another word for FART.

Paper Tape
Message 22 of 159 (178,921 Views)

[ Edited ]

Brand new Y40 here, and the same crappy experience.

Just received my laptop, booted up, started browsing and this annoying Superfish VisualDiscovery bull**bleep** started popping up on me... **bleep**??!!

So Lenovo, a supposedly renowned hardware maker, is pushing crapware into its customers??

I'm stunned. Completely.

And please, don't give me that PUP ("Potentially Unwanted Program") nonsense. This is adware, plain and simple.

Also, yes; I could wipe the whole thing out and get a fresh OS install (which I'll probably end up doing anyway), but that would require me to obtain a new OS license (i.e.: pay for it, if I want Windows).

Yet... wait! I have already paid for a Windows license here!!! (because Lenovo forced me to, as they won't sell the machine OS-less). However, I only got a bloated, spammy version, which I cannot change, beacuse all is embedded into the recovery image...

I feel scammed.

[Moderator Edited per Forum Guidelines.]

Token Ring
Message 23 of 159 (178,903 Views)

you ALL can feel as scammed and crappy as you want..

BUT you ALL chose to buy with a company called Lenovo. so who is at fault here? you or lenovo??

i'm not saying lenovo should be able to do this.. but how you fight it is not buying from companies who do do this..

or you just not even worry about any of it and do a wipe and fresh install..  is that annoying? a little.. but it should only take 30minutes-1 hour .. and then you are done..

now, either buy from a company that promotes something else.. or fresh install windows 8.1..

Token Ring
Message 24 of 159 (178,899 Views)

you guys think lenovo is bad..  did you read about intel?? and they make all the processors/chips..

when you fresh install windows, do not install "intel management engine" "intel license" "intel anything" ha..

that is for remote management of your computer.. think about that from intel..

Blue Screen Again
Message 25 of 159 (178,879 Views)

Well, i didnt know Lenovo was that bad. its not like they stuck it on the
flier saying...we install adware on our computers so we can profit from our
customers by using hidden software.

However, I now know this. I now will not buy any lenovo laptop again.

Paper Tape
Message 26 of 159 (178,867 Views)

Me too, I had no idea Lenovo was doing this!

I had prior experience with a couple of ThinkPads I had used at work, and they were good (of course, they had company-customized images installed on them). In fact, that experience was a significant factor in my decision of buying a Lenovo for personal use.

That is why I felt so surprised.

Now, I run into this, do some Google searching and find out that I was not the only one. Maybe I should have done some better investigation beforehand...

Anyway, it's a shame, cause I still think their hardware is good.

BTW, regarding wipe and fresh install... the annoyance is not about the time it takes, but rather with the fact that I need to go purchase (or in some other way, obtain) a new license.

Particularly infuriating, considering that I have just paid Lenovo for a license I won't be using.

Former Administrator
Message 27 of 159 (178,704 Views)

[ Edited ]

Admin Edit - The original information is retained below.  Lenovo's understanding of the situation has evolved since time of this orignal posting.   Please review Lenovo's advisory regarding VisualDiscovery / Superfish on our support site here -> http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish

Instructions for the removal including both the application and certificates are available here

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall

Original content:

Due to some issues (browser pop up behavior for example), with the Superfish Visual Discovery browser add-on, we have temporarily removed Superfish from our consumer systems until such time as Superfish is able to provide a software build that addresses these issues. As for units already in market, we have requested that Superfish auto-update a fix that addresses these issues.

To be clear, Superfish comes with Lenovo consumer products only and is a technology that helps users find and discover products visually. The technology instantly analyzes images on the web and presents identical and similar product offers that may have lower prices, helping users search for images without knowing exactly what an item is called or how to describe it in a typical text-based search engine.

The Superfish Visual Discovery engine analyzes an image 100% algorithmically, providing similar and near identical images in real time without the need for text tags or human intervention. When a user is interested in a product, Superfish will search instantly among more than 70,000 stores to find similar items and compare prices so the user can make the best decision on product and price.

Superfish technology is purely based on contextual/image and not behavioral. It does not profile nor monitor user behavior.  It does not record user information. It does not know who the user is. Users are not tracked nor re-targeted.  Every session is independent. When using Superfish for the first time, the user is presented the Terms of User and Privacy Policy, and has option not to accept these terms, i.e., Superfish is then disabled.

Blue Screen Again
Message 28 of 159 (178,675 Views)

Hmmmm,

I guess this is a partial success.

Either way the damage to Lenovos reputation is done. 

I failed to see any part of where its mentioned what the agreement was between lenovo and Visualsearch. 

Lenovo were porbably paid to install this software on laptops, then visual search may have used it to get commissioning from visual search links....

What's DOS?
Message 29 of 159 (178,630 Views)

Thank you Mark_Lenovo. I came to this forum specifically because of this software. I spent a week off and on trying to figure out why the Flowdock web app would not load on my Y50 laptop. Turned out the best-deals-products script was messing with Flowdock's code. I figured out that it was related to Superfish. I uninstalled Superfish and now the site is loading correctly.

It's good to see that Lenovo is acknowledging that something is amiss with software in their pre-installed bundle and is taking action to address it.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 30 of 159 (178,387 Views)

Hi, just bought a lenovo z50-70 and surprise the same program runs...

I notice it as soon as I turn it on...

And now I want to move it but it's not easy...

It's really weird that they install this kind of programme on a new laptop !!

And I'm going to call them cause I can't find a mail to join them from France !!

Really annoying !

(and by the way I only launch the notebook, installed winsows 8, and firefox from mozilla site, and a little addon lightbeam who tells me something wrong with my internet pages... So it must be there at the beginning !! )

Top kudoed Authors