Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddfreita
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,497
Message 81 of 160

Re: Lenovo Pre-instaling adware/spam - Superfish - powerd by VisualSearch

This is why no matter what pre-built computer or laptop I buy, the first thing I do is format the hard drive and perform a clean install of Windows using an official Microsoft ISO image mounted to a USB flash drive. When prompted for the product key, I use the Windows product key that came with the computer. Bloat-free computing.
Guru
Views: 2,436
Message 82 of 160

"We have thoroughly investigated this technology and do not find any evidence to substantiate security concerns."

https://twitter.com/ydklijnsma/status/568390533749604352

"Yonathan Klijnsma ‏@ydklijnsma 4h4 hours ago

@cra0kalo an encrypted private key was present in SuperFish. Managed to extract it and get the password. Then signed for lenovo as a CA."

Either Lenovo has bad security auditing, or Mark was given a PR spiel to deliver, or both.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
war59312
Paper Tape
Views: 2,431
Message 83 of 160

Hi,

I highly, highly, recommend you do a clean install.

What's to say this is the only malware included!

Just can't believe no one has

Moderator note: Comment removed which did not comply with the Forum Rules

cya,

Will

oddtobehere
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,426
Message 84 of 160

I registered today just to tell Lenovo what I think of their nasty tactics.  Yes, nasty, and I make no apologies about it.

After all the furor here as well as elsewhere on the internet this is what the good Mark Hopkins has to say in his Removal Instructions:

"However, user feedback was not positive, and we responded quickly and decisively"

"We recognize that the software did not meet that goal and have acted quickly and decisively."

Is that suppose to be an apology?  Nowhere, neither here on the forum nor in your so-called removal instructions,  did I once see the word "sorry".  Do you or your the company you work for really understand what they have reaped from this sordid issue?  Do you think it's so easy to recover all the goodwill you have lost?  Do you think consumers will ever trust you again?  Maybe you are so used to sitting on your high and mighty horse and looking down on others that you forgot how to say sorry.  Well let me tell you something.  If you have to get down on your knees and grovel that's what you have to do.  If you have to rub your nose in it and eat your own mess then that's what you have to do.  I tell you, before this day is out, the news will spread on the internet like wild fire and you and your company will be powerless to stop it.

Like others, I won't blame anyone who joins it because I will be joining it too.  I hope someone really big, like the US government, sues you.  By foisting this hijacker on your unsuspecting customers, Lenovo is guilty of a criminal offense just like any criminal who uses malware.

So you post "Removal Instructions".  What about all the Lenovo users who don't even knew your article exist?  You are just trying to put some whitewash over the whole issue.  To rectify this, nothing short of a complete and unconditional apology from Lenovo will do.  Also, Lenovo must also either pay some sort of compensation to consumers for this infringement or be fined .

Moderator note: Comment removed which did not comply with the Forum Rules

SilverOrange
Paper Tape
Views: 2,177
Message 85 of 160

I like how the mod keeps removing any references to legal actions... Nothing to see here.

oddtobehere
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,993
Message 86 of 160

I see a moderator has edited out a part of my post.  It had do do with my forseeing some future developments that would come about as a result of this issue.  Everything was polite and no obscene language was used.  I had a look at the forum rules (again) to see where I may have contravened them.

It's a very far stretch of the imagination but there is one clause which had to do with "personal threats against forum members, Lenovo employees or company affiliates".   I suppose the moderator thought it was a threat.  Well let me say it is not a threat - rather it is what I forsee will happen as a result of what Lenovo did - and nothing, not even the moderators can prevent that from happening.

oddtobehere
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,965
Message 87 of 160

@SilverOrange wrote:

I like how the mod keeps removing any references to legal actions... Nothing to see here.

Yes, nice democracy at work isn't it?

redgrenadine
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,949
Message 88 of 160

You're talking about a forum run by a company owned and operated by Chinese living under Communism

Still can't believe we let IBM sell the Thinkpad brand to these guys

Guru
Views: 1,834
Message 89 of 160

To be fair, it's always been against the rules to rally against Lenovo on the official forums, and mods have always dealt with posts according to it.

Not that lawsuits payout decently to the individual end user, and I'd still like to have Lenovo not blow money on settlement and spend it on paying the engineers to make good products. The PR damage is plenty enough IMO; almost every major western news outlet has picked up on this story.

I also don't buy that Mark made that post entirely of his own volition, in that precise PR/marketing phrasing.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
biznatch
802.11n
Views: 1,756
Message 90 of 160

@ColonelONeill wrote:
I also don't buy that Mark made that post entirely of his own volition, in that precise PR/marketing phrasing.

Almost certainly he didn't write it unless he also writes Lenovo press releases.  It's very similar to their official statement:

http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1929

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors