Highlighted
FrodeW
Punch Card
Views: 73,079
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Utility for Windows 10

Hi,

I have a few basic questions.

1) What does the Lenovo Utility for Windows 10 do?

2) I see that there is a new version of this utility, version 3.0.0.4 of 25 Dec. 2015, but

there is no information about what the new version does and what is different from

previous versions.

3) Why do all the Lenovo drivers and utiltities have so little basic information of their

purpose or usefulness and why do none of them have any version history?

I find that the lack of openness and transparency makes the life of then end-user

very hard and difficult. Is there any hope that Lenovo will change this policy.

Best reagrds,

Frode

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 72,699
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo Utility for Windows 10

Few of the files have a readme to know what their purpose is. Some are obvious but still details on purpose and changes should be made clear.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

FrodeW
Punch Card
Views: 72,679
Message 3 of 11

Hi,

Thanks for answering. I have seen that after executing the drivers and utilities there sometimes are readme

files in the directories where the files are unpcked, but what I am looking for is some kind of information about

the software does before I run the downloaded files. Today I have mangaed to get some of the drivers I wanted to

install to work. At least I now have he Battery Gauge working and the battery saving functionality working, the

problem is that it did not install as I expected to and it is only after a lot of cut and try that I got it all working.

I am not even sure I am able to repeat the installation as it was very convoluted and depended on many

different steps and which only came together after several reboots..

Regards,

Frode

rseiler
Punch Card
Views: 72,468
Message 4 of 11

Have you figured out what it actually is yet?  Best I can see is that it's some kind of control panel for various pieces of the hardware.

akahan
Paper Tape
Views: 71,111
Message 5 of 11

This is exactly why I'm never buying another Lenovo.   At least not until their download page for updated drivers and other downloads explains what these utilities do; whether they introduce new/additional features (and if so, what), whether they "phone home" or send information to Lenovo, whether they fix bugs from prior versions (and, if so, what bugs), whether they're "required" or "suggested," and so forth. 

The lack of respect for the end user is completely insane with this company.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 71,085
Message 6 of 11

This is my 2nd system and last as well. My son need a new notebook as his 8+ year old HP was acting up. Overheating GPU it appeared as his graphics was breaking up when loaded via HDMI streaming. Anyway, yes Lenovo is extremely sparse on details and/or readme's on their releases. Many I find don't install as a current example the Win 10 ACPI driver has be released at leat 5 times and no matter how I start it and reboot with a restart so it can finish the install it never works. Trying to get a handle on why or how to is frustrating since even with warranty the techs want me to pay for software support before they will do anything. Absurd... anyway one day I'll figure it out and my son got a fabulous MSI 17" gaming model which blows away anything Lenovo has with dual performance cooling systems that keep it cool no matter what.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

giman2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 66,252
Message 7 of 11

Obviously it is something they need your permission to install, but if you know what it does you will not install it. Some of the purposes it could have: 

-  something that is useful to lenovo, but worthless to you.

- needs you to voluteer to install, otherwise it will be illegal.

I will not install anything unless I know what it is. This lack of information is bad for Lenovo's customers. Its bad for IBM, its simply poor customer service.  

Bomans
Paper Tape
Views: 62,388
Message 8 of 11

https://support.lenovo.com/us/nl/downloads/DS104158

It's a support for the hotkeys on your keyboard such as the one key recovery button, fn+keys, numlock volume - screen and more, different to every model.

So no crapware and very clearly explained on the Lenovo website.

Lenovo is for what you pay for it : very very very good.

People who are shouting hooray for HP have clearly never had an HP in the pricerange you would pay for Lenovo.

I had several brands from very cheap to very expensive. Lenovo has some minor things that could be improved on his cheaper models but in fact not worth mentioning

LoneWolffe
Token Ring
Views: 38,922
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for this quick and accurate explanation!
"There's no such thing as a foolproof system. Someone will make a better fool, tomorrow." @LoneWolffe
Borom
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 33,339
Message 10 of 11

Sorry to bring up this topic again, don't feel the need to open up new thread.

I've just purchased the Ideapad 720S-15IKB Model which came with 2 Lenovo Software:

Lenovo Vantage

Lenovo Utility

Lenovo Vantage work as expected, settings, updates, guides etc.

But Lenovo Utility seems to do nothing after double clicking the icon. Is this app still functioning or does it do anything?

Or is there update thats needed to get the app going?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors