Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flaterkk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,568
Message 1 of 77

Lenovo Y 40 - Battery doesnot charge - shows 100 % but dies when Unplugged

Hi All,

It seems many people are having this issue as I scour this forum.

My Lenovo y40 is less than a year old, so still on warranty. It recently (May 19th) began to have battery problems. It shows 100%, Charging, when plugged in. But, as soon as I unplug the charger the battery drains quickly or shuts off immediately.

Other times, the battery will hold its charge and stay on for a few hours. It's very intermittent, it seems like the laptop has trouble reading the actual battery level.

I have tried everything already recommended on this forum, reinstalled drivers, reset the battery guage through Energy Manager. What gives? The laptop is too new to have a faulty battery, and it was working perfectly up until a few days ago.

Anyone else having this issue, do I really need to use the warranty already? Argh...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 40,307
Message 2 of 77

Re: Lenovo Y 410 - Battery doesnot charge - shows 100 % but dies when Unplugged

Hi Flaterkk,

Welcome to the Forums    

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue battery not charging in your Lenovo Y410 laptop.

Try to uninstall the energy management and restart the system and check for the issue. Also try to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI from the device manager and restart the system and check for the issue.

Click here for the energy manager for windows 8.

Click here for the energy manager for windows 7.

Click here for the energy manager for windows 8.1.

Hope this helps. Do post back if the issue persists!                                        

Best regards,                                                       

Ashwin. S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

flaterkk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,301
Message 3 of 77

Re: Lenovo Y40 - Battery doesnot charge - shows 100 % but dies when Unplugged

Hi Ashwin,

Thanks for the response here. I made a typo in the Subject Line for this post, this actually refers to the Lenovo Y40-70 Model.

I have had this computer for about 6 months now, so I am a little baffled I am already having issues with it.

As mentioned in my original post, I have already tried your listed troubleshooting steps, as I found your same posts in other threads.

To others who may read this, and this may also be helpful to Lenovo staff, I was able to somewhat resolve the issue by:

1. Uninstall the Energy Manager completely.

2. Then I uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI.

3. I shut down the computer, then unhooked the battery (had to remove the bottom lid).

4. I then rebooted the system, and hooked the battery back in. Microsoft ACPI re-installed itself.

Now, although the battery meter still shows 100% at all times, the laptop stays powered on battery for ~4 hours. Before, with the Energy Manager still installed, the battery would die in less than 30 minutes although showing 100%.

It seems like there is a conflict with the Energy Manager. I am not sure what caused it to act up. The only two things I changed in my computer prior to the problem starting was the following:

1. I installed VMWare Workstation

2. I used the Energy Manager and its "Express Charge" feature

After these two simple changes, the battery has gone haywire.

Very unfortunate, any thoughts? This seems very similar to the Lenovo Z510 issues.

flaterkk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,260
Message 4 of 77

Just updating my own thread, just in case it helps others as Lenovo not much help.

After much troubleshooting and testing, I believe it is the Energy Manager at fault here.

I believe I have 100% resolved my own issue by completely uninstalling the Energy Manager from the laptop, and used CCleaner to make sure every last file is deleted.

I then went to the Device Manager and uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI Battery Management driver. I also noticed, under "System Devices", that Lenovo has a Lenovo Virtual ACPI - Battery device. I uninstalled this too.

I then restarted the PC, and success, without Energy Manager or Lenovo Virutal ACPI device, the battery is picked up correctly by the PC. It charges and discharges correctly, and the meter reflects the remaining percentages.

I would advise the following to other Lenovo Y40 owners. Do NOT use the Energy Manager to do a battery gauge reset OR use the "Express Charge" feature. This seems to completely mess up Windows ability to read the battery.

I will leave the Energy Manager un-installed and never touch it. Very unfortunate. I will update this thread if my solution seems to sieze working.

Hope this helps others.

meeruji
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,218
Message 5 of 77

Thank you! I will try to do the same as I started having the same problems. Maybe it is because of recent updates or patches. I originally thought that it was a hardware problem, not software. I was planning to go ahead and talk to costumer service to get my laptop checked out and it seems that you have found a solution that may work for me Smiley Happy

flaterkk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,208
Message 6 of 77

Hey meeruji,

Hopefully my solution helped you.

I did want to add to my comment above, when I unininstalled "Lenovo has a Lenovo Virtual ACPI - Battery device" from the device manager, upon reboot I noticed the Device Manager now listed "Unknown Device". I knew this was the Lenovo driver, and I made sure to right click and "Disable" the Unknown Device to make sure Windows does not find and re-install these drivers.

Furthermore, I noticed it took a couple of battery cycles for my laptop to re-calibrate. I fully discharged and recharged it a couple times, and now the battery meter does not stay stuck on 100% and seems working for the most part.

Best of luck, this was pretty frustrating. I overall liked the laptop, but I also had problems with the WiFi and Bluetooth that I had to resolve myself with no help from Lenovo support. The laptop shipped with WiFi errors, and along with this battery issue, this does not build my faith in Lenovo Smiley Sad Back to ASUS for my next laptop once this one fully dies.

meeruji
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,193
Message 7 of 77

Can you let me know if I am following your steps correctly? I followed or I think I followed every one of your steps and it seems that my laptop is not dying at 100% anymore, but I still dont see the battery bar discharging. 

I first Uninstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. 

Click here to view image.

Then I uninstalled Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller.

Click here to view image.

I also uninstalled Lenovo Enegry Manager. Then I shut down and rebooted my computer. When I went back to device manager both drivers were re-installed or still there. Should I disable them instead? Or what do you suggest I am doing wrong. 

Mod's Edit: Image(s) converted to link(s) due to size.  Images are limited to 100k size per forum guidelines.
                     Please refer to About Posting Pictures for more information.

flaterkk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,190
Message 8 of 77

Hey meeruji,

In my case, when I rebooted the computer, the Lenovo Virtual device showed up as "Unknown Device". I knew this was the Lenovo Virtual device since I just uninstalled the Lenovo Energy Manager drivers. Do not disable the Microsoft ACPI, just the Lenovo Virtual ACPI, see screenshot.

device manager.PNG

I also a calibrated the battery manually by letting the battery die, then holding the power button for 30 seconds, plug it back in to the charger and let it charge to 100%. Then I'd do it again, just use the battery until the laptop dies. So far so good, I have not had any problems since Disabling the "Unknown Device" which was the Lenovo ACPI device.

meeruji
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,185
Message 9 of 77

Ty! Ill try that Smiley Very Happy
meeruji
Fanfold Paper
Views: 40,166
Message 10 of 77

Just an update for everyone who is also having the same problem. I followed the steps provided by flaterkk and my system and its power state is back to normal. I had to let my computer discharge and die 2-3 times before the battery was calibrated to its normal sate. The computer charges perfectly and does not die on me like before. However, in the windows "Action center" under "System and Security" in the control panel, there is a pc issue that popped up. See picture below:

Action Center.png

The message popped up on my system and it is the same driver that I uninstalled recently. I do not plan to install this driver anytime soon or until lenovo has found a proper solution for this. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors