cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
potassinana
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,199
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo Y40-70 : How Do You Install AMD Graphics Card Updates?

Hello all,

I have been having multiple issues trying to install the latest driver for the AMD card (AMD Radeon R9 M275) onto my Lenovo Y40-70 (running Windows 10). I am now trying to play Fallout 4, but can't even open the game without it crashing immediately. Solutions online say to update the graphics card. I don't know why, but the only drivers I am able to install come from Lenovo's site. None of the drivers provided by AMD work.

The driver I have right now is version 15.200.1050.0 , and it's dated from 06/30/2015. The latest driver for the card I have (according to AMD) is 15.30.1025.1001, released 12/17/2015. 

However, when I try to download the driver from this page (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64), I get an error halfway through installation. 

The error says that my operating system is not supported. Since I upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1, I tried downloading the driver for Win8, too, but the same error occurs.

Why can't I update my graphics driver? Do I have to wait for Lenovo to release the update on their site? How long would that take? Are there any workarounds so I don't have to wait for Lenovo to catch up? 

Thanks for the help!

Guru
Views: 7,168
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo Y40-70 : How Do You Install AMD Graphics Card Updates?

AMD catches up again with errors lol, I stuggled with these updates for nearly 3 years and did not update since they would just give me more BSODs

Coming back to your issue,

1) Go to Control Panel > Programs & features

2) Remove AMD drivers and software, Restart.

3) Download the latest drivers for your GPU, keeping your OS in mind.

4) Install the drivers.

Let me know where you face an issue and what is the error.

Preferably take some screenshots. Thanks.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
potassinana
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,159
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply Rocky! Here's a walkthrough of what I did, step by step! (all screenshots are in the spoilers)

Step 1: Uninstall Everything (related to AMD)

Spoiler
a. I went to the Control Panel but wasn't able to uninstall the AMD Catalyst Install Manager through there.
b. So I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the driver from there:

uninstall_driver.PNG
uninstall_driver_2.PNG

c. Then I ran the AMD Cleanup Utility program that helped A LOT in past experiments with the drivers. 
amd_cleanup.PNG
It worked great!
amd_cleanup_2.PNG

Step 2: I rebooted the computer. (No screenshots of that lol)

Step 3: I tried the AMD Auto-Detect Tool to see what driver I needed.

Spoiler
a. Here's the page I got the tool from:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

b. And here's the result:
amd_autodetect.PNG

c. As you can see, somehow AMD thinks I have Win8 running (I don't), and that I don't have a AMD graphics card. Sad. 

Step 4: I tried to manually download and install the latest driver from AMD's site, for Windows 10:

Spoiler
a. Here's the page I downloaded it from: 
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

b. I clicked the first option:
amd_win10driverdownloadpage.PNG

c. I downloaded and ran the .exe file.

d. The result?
amd_win10driverdownload_2.PNG
Sad.

Step 5: Let's try the Win8 driver! Because apparently AMD thinks that I'm running Windows 8.

Spoiler
a. Here's the page: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+8.1+-+64

b. I downloaded and ran the first installer again.

c. WOW! It worked! I think?
amd_win8driverdownload_4.PNG

d. But it doesn't show up in the Device Manager?
after_win8driver.PNG

Step 6: Double-checking

Spoiler
a. So the fact that the driver is missing from the Device Manager is worrisome...
b. So I checked if Fallout: New Vegas could detect the AMD graphics card in the options
after_win8driver2.PNG

c. It could not (only the Intel one shows up).

Conclusion: For whatever reason I can't download the Windows 10 driver, I can only download and run the installer for the Windows 8 version. However, even the Win8 version doesn't appear to work.

This is very strange and I have no clue where to start fixing this issue. Thanks for your help! Smiley Happy

Guru
Views: 7,153
Message 4 of 8

Yeah i read about that driver, seems like they have a line that it may not be compatible with all vendor devices.

--------------------------

AMD Mobility Radeon™ Family Compatibility

AMD Catalyst Mobility is a notebook reference graphics driver with limited support for system vendor specific features.

​AMD Mobility Product Family Compatibility
AMD Radeon™ R9 M3​00 Series AMD Radeon™ R7 M200 Series
AMD Radeon™ R7 M300 Series AMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series
AMD Radeon™ R5 M300 Series AMD Radeon™ HD 8500M+ Series
AMD Radeon™ R9 M200 Series AMD Radeon™ HD 7700M+ Series​​

-----------------------------

Sorry, but I dont think this driver will work. Your best bet now is to install the driver available on Lenovo Support website.

I hate AMD for their updates, NVIDIA is slightly better at those things.

Essentially, until Lenovo updates it, you wont get a new driver. Thats what I understand. Not a nice situation but unless someone else can say something, this would be my conclusion.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
potassinana
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,149
Message 5 of 8

Awwwww that was my worst fear. Thanks again for all your help! Even though it is a bet of a let-down, I'm glad to know that I haven't been missing something obvious. 

So in other words, I am stuck with the outdated driver from 06/2015, the one that crashes Fallout 4. Smiley Tongue

Do you happen to know who I should contact at Lenovo to ask when I can expect the next update? I would ideally like to be able to play the game within the next few months, lol.

Thanks again! Smiley Happy 

Guru
Views: 7,145
Message 6 of 8

lol, I am a gamer and if I have a game I wont want to wait for a few months. Frankly, I dont know anyone who can give you a timeline for release of a video driver.

Did you upgrade to Win 10 or your system came with Win 10?

potassinana
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,141
Message 7 of 8

It came with Windows 8, and then I upgraded to Windows 10 sometime last fall!

However, I believe that I have had the same issue with graphic driver updates (I think I always had to go through Lenovo, but didn't think much of it). So, I don't know if I can still roll back to Win8, and even if I could, I don't know if it would help. Smiley Tongue

I guess I will just poke around the site and see if I can submit a case or request to tell Lenovo that they need to update their drivers! I'm sure other Y40 owners have had the same issue. I like gaming, too, and it's gonna be hard for me to wait but I will presevere!  Smiley Happy

Jeregbr
What's DOS?
Views: 2,692
Message 8 of 8

Hello! how are you? I recently bought a used Lenovo notebook and 4080 and have had big problems like you with the dedicated graphics. Have you been able to solve the problem? I tried windows 10 and I could not, with windows 7 either and with windows 8.1 either ... I have to use yes or if windows 8 on my notebook to use it graphically? No driver works for me. I've already gone crazy and I can not find a solution. I wait your answer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors