Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drekthar
Paper Tape
Views: 294
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Y40-80 AMD Graphic card incorrect specs

I got the wrong specs on ATI graphic card. Below is the link for the oficialy AMD factory specs and the one that shows GPU-Z. 

http://imgur.com/a/yqRDS

http://i.imgur.com/VoJCwXf.jpg?1

Would like to hear from community what is wrong? 

Regards,

Drekthar

Guru
Views: 259
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Y40-80 AMD Graphic card incorrect specs

I believe that Lenovo models have the DD3 version of that GPU, I can only confirm this through external reviews of this device. Also, the memory clock can vary between different OEMs as they tune the CPU/GPU to their own requirements.

What I can say is that you got what Lenovo is actually selling. AMD can have specs for a specific chip but it does not mean that it will always match with the manufacturer.

About this GPU, even if you change some things, it is a pretty mediocre GPU that can run pre-2014 games. Anything newer and it will struggle.

I have the y700 with r9m375 which performs quite similar to your GPU, feel free to ask any questions. Thank you.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Drekthar
Paper Tape
Views: 241
Message 3 of 4

That is interesting. Because it looks like LENOVO doing marketing by advertising this laptop as gaming one. In fact, the integrated Intel VGA is faster than the discrete one. Radeon X275 4GB, 32Bit, DDR3 while Intel HD 4000 is 2,4,6,8GB (Depends on your RAM size), 128Bit, DDR3. I did a couple of tests and looks like Intel VGA is doing better than Radeon. And Lenovo faking out everyone by advertising this junk as "GAMING LAPTOP". Would like to hear from Official Lenovo Representative. Probably will call them and complain about this issue. 

Guru
Views: 215
Message 4 of 4

I agree comletely but if your discrete is performing worse than the Intel 4000 then there is some issue.

The on board GPU shares it memory and bandwidth with other resources, so realistically it cannot compete with a dedicated card.

Also, this GPU is usually found in a $700-750 laptop, so really you cannot expect much from it. (I hope you did not spend more than that)

A normal laptop with a new i5 or i7 costs around $550 - $650, so pricewise I wont say there is much difference. Compare any other brand and you will find sub-par $700-800 laptops (new ones). For a decent gaming laptop, as a rule of thumb please engage in more research to see if the GPU is powerful enough for the needs.

My first laptop cost me $1100 and had the ATI 5730, which was quite good for games from 2010 - 2013, I think my last game played on that was Tomb Raider.

Now, I have the Y510P with GT755m SLI which cost me a total of $1060, and its playing The Witcher 3 (highly demanding game) at Med settings.

Personal experience, I recommend NVIDIA GPU over AMD any day of the millenium. Good day.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Top Kudoed Authors