09-28-2013 03:09 PM
Hi, I own a Lenovo Y400 with a 16GB Sandisk U100 SSD pre-loaded with Windows 8 from Lenovo.
Since last month I am told by the system that my hard disk drive may be faulty and I need to back up my data and prevent using the computer until my HDD is fixed.
I also got a "Risky" status on my Intel Rapid Storage Technology software embedded into my Windows. I tried to suprress it a few times but it come out again eventually.
- Starting about 3 weeks ago, the computer can't be turned off properly, after I turn off (hovering my mouse to the right hand side of the monitor and click shut off), it will just give me a black screen but my computer didn't shut off totally (the led on my keyboard is still on) and this happened quite a few times. Anyway since I had a desktop I usually work on desktop but when I'm travelling I will use the laptop.
- Everytime it happened, I tried to "hard reset" the computer (pressing the power button for several seconds until the system shut off)
- I tried to back up my data using the windows back up, it stuck at 97% for like 6 hours and I thought something was not right.
- I also tried to create a system recovery disk but the "Please Wait" screen has been loading for like 2 hours without moving at all
- I already manually back up ("Copy & Paste all my documents, musics, videos, etc" to my hdd) since the auto back up won't work.
- I already call Lenovo Customer Service but they are notoriously slow and they inform me to back up my computer first before I reset the laptop
Any idea how can I check if my SSD is faulty? I was thinking to reinstall my Windows 8 but since I wasn't provided with Win8 recovery disk or whatsoever during purchase and I can't even make a recovery disk, what can I do for my issue?
Thanks a lot for your help!
10-02-2013 03:14 PM
Welcome to the Forums.
Try to download and install HD Tune and run an error scan on the HDD/SSD. This will verify if there's bad blocks on the drive. There's also a health tab where you can check if the drive's healthy or not.
If you get errors, you will need to contact lenovo for service as re-imaging the machine via the OneKey Recovery button will most likely produce freezing or "stucked on xx %" issue.
I hope you get the laptop repaired soon.