Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a7ballin
Paper Tape
Views: 448
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Y410p M.2 SSD port not working

I am writing this post to acquire additional information about why this may be. What I have is a Lenovo y410p that shipped with just the standard 1tb hard drive (I did not get the additional ssd). I purchased a small, working, 16gb m.2 ssd to try out in the laptop before I spend money on something much larger. I open up the laptop, plug it in (it some fiit perfectly, not a hitch) and assemble and turn the laptop back on.

Now, after playing in the BIOS which doesn't allow you to change anything (horrible BIOS btw), it also does not show up in device/disk manager. According to the BIOS it does not see the drive at all. I had once, miraculously, it did see the drive, then when I booted it was gone. Does anyone have an idea how I may be able to enable that port? Or if that port on mine is busted? ...

Key Points

- The m.2 drive itself is working, and tested in an external enclosure

- Drive has showed up in BIOS like twice, randomly, then not after computer is booted

- Drive has never shown up in device/disk manager

- I know this is the right drive, m.2 ngff ssd because it fits and is not pci-e based.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I know there is not a whole lot of documentation on this issue anywhere else, so we may be able to help someone else out as well!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 441
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Y410p M.2 SSD port not working

It might need to get the drive initialize and then install a program to make it act as a cache. I'm not sure if the program is Expresscache but take a look at this procesure if it is what you need.

a7ballin
Paper Tape
Views: 439
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply, but I do not intend on making it a cache drive. I eventually want to be able to boot from it. But, the first step is recognizing it as a drive..

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 435
Message 4 of 7

@a7ballin wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I do not intend on making it a cache drive. I eventually want to be able to boot from it. But, the first step is recognizing it as a drive..

With the OS running check if the drive is recognize by running disk management. If it is then that means that you just need to install the new os to it by either using shift F10 to initialize it using diskpart and then proceeding with the installation. It might help if the hdd is remove to insure that the os can be installed in the ssd.

a7ballin
Paper Tape
Views: 432
Message 5 of 7

As specified in the original post, it does not show up in disk management. Even on that rare time it was recgonized by the BIOS.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 424
Message 6 of 7

@a7ballin wrote:

As specified in the original post, it does not show up in disk management. Even on that rare time it was recgonized by the BIOS.

In this case you may have to dig up old threads pertaining to this problem. Good luck!

a7ballin
Paper Tape
Views: 421
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for your help, hopefully someone else has some insight.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors