Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwntd541
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,564
Message 81 of 164

Re: Lenovo Y480 Review

Well I bought the lenovo y480 primarily as a gaming laptop that has pretty decent specs. 

However the problem is that the graphic card's drivers are not good at all and causes alot of compatiability issues with newer games, ie D3. And I'm not even running it in high settings, overall very low fps around 20-30. I have a friend that has a sager that is older with sandy bridge and the graphics card isn't even as good, but can run almost all games smoothly, even the latests ones on mid -high quality.

Bottom line, I'm very disappointed in this purchase, it was advertised as a above average gaming laptop, but does not meet its standards, or even standard gaming laptops. Because their drivers are buggy.

And of course if you use this laptop with these specs doing any other non-graphics intensive acitivtiy would be decent. It's like using a hammer to crack an egg or something.

Some other note, One key recovery does not work if you ever partition your hard-drive into a different size.

Highlighted
theswee
Paper Tape
Views: 1,559
Message 82 of 164

Palm rest does not get hot, as far as I have encountered.

As far as weight - look, it's not a 13-incher, but it feels fine to me. Now, I don't commute with mine, so it could get cumbersome over a long walk or whatever, but I think that for me, the weight is fine. Not heavy, you can hold with one hand and not feel weighed down.
theswee
Paper Tape
Views: 1,557
Message 83 of 164

I see what you're saying. But then again, I was salivating not over the graphics card but the 1TB HDD + 32GB solid state. That's pretty awesome I think....
so I can't play Crysis 2 on high...i don't really care. Once you have a wife and kid, you'll be hard-pressed to find mobile-gaming opportunities anyway. I play most of my video games at night in my house on my XBox while everyone is asleep. Smiley Happy
theswee
Paper Tape
Views: 1,556
Message 84 of 164

...but if you're a college kid looking to buy a hard-core gaming laptop, you should probably pass on this one. I would recommend it to just about everybody else in the universe though.
gadgetrants
SCSI Port
Views: 1,519
Message 85 of 164

@theswee wrote:
I see what you're saying. But then again, I was salivating not over the graphics card but the 1TB HDD + 32GB solid state. That's pretty awesome I think....
so I can't play Crysis 2 on high...i don't really care. Once you have a wife and kid, you'll be hard-pressed to find mobile-gaming opportunities anyway. I play most of my video games at night in my house on my XBox while everyone is asleep. Smiley Happy

Yeah, I'm kind of a mixture of the two -- a wife and TWO kids plus a lot of everyday work on the laptop -- PLUS one of my kids is a hard-core gamer, so having a good card is helpful.  Still, I know even if I got a top-of-the-line mobile graphics card today, next year they'll be games that will barely play on it at low settings.  Just the way it works I guess. 

Speaking of the SSD...can you explain if it's a standalone drive, or if it's configured as a boost/acceleration drive?  I had planned to totally wipe the system, install the OS on an mSata SSD, and keep my data on the spinning drive.  At least I've seen it work that way on the Y470 and the Y470P

-Matt

andrewbaxter
Serial Port
Views: 1,513
Message 86 of 164

Great review Akiva, good to know you're enjoying the Y480 and the information on the 32GB SSD offering fast boot times is great.
theswee
Paper Tape
Views: 1,496
Message 87 of 164

Matt -

Hmmm....I'm not that techie, but I believe it's a standalone that the important stuff in the OS is on. There are only two folders in it - "Application" and "drivers." I n the drivers folder is everything that the computer needs to have running, which is why it loads so fast, I think. Here is a screenshot of my computer with manage and properties open:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4j9q0kxnqyxwzeo/Fullscreen%20capture%206142012%20215137.bmp

And here is one of what the drivers and Applications folder have in it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6u2irzjuyzmc9z/Fullscreen%20capture%206142012%20220013.bmp

As you can see, a lot of the important stuff is in drivers, and i guess the other one is bloatware.... Smiley Wink

The C: drive still has the Windows and Users stuff in it...and everything else, so I guess the D: drive is not a boot drive, but contains a lot of the important things the computer needs to do when it boots. That's my educated guess, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helped!

Akiva
gadgetrants
SCSI Port
Views: 1,486
Message 88 of 164

Thanks Akiva, the pictures were a very thoughtful gesture and they're SUPER helpful.  I'd like to tinker a bit with your system, but from the pictures I'd say the C drive is your boot drive.  I suspect if you allow Windows to show hidden system files, there are probably some other folders and important files on the D drive (e.g., system cache files), BUT it looks like it's primary role is to boost speed by keeping some of the frequently-used system files/drivers on the SSD, plus boosting restart after sleep/hibernation.

Another hint is that at 32GB, it might be a squeeze to get ALL of the Win 7 OS on the SSD.  Win 7 would fit no problem, but then you'd have to tell the system to put your garden-variety programs elsewhere, and not to put a virtual memory file or hibernation file on the SSD. Given the way the specs are listed at Lenovo, I'd guess that's not how the drive is configured. 

-Matt

gadgetrants
SCSI Port
Views: 1,362
Message 89 of 164

@theswee wrote:
Matt -

Hmmm....I'm not that techie, but I believe it's a standalone that the important stuff in the OS is on. There are only two folders in it - "Application" and "drivers." I n the drivers folder is everything that the computer needs to have running, which is why it loads so fast, I think. Here is a screenshot of my computer with manage and properties open:

Ah, did some reading yesterday and I have more insight about how the acceleration cache works.  Here is a slightly off-topic link about hybrid spinning+solid-state drives that apply a similar caching strategy:

http://www.forums1.anandtech.com/show/5160/seagate-2nd-generation-momentus-xt-750gb-hybrid-hdd-revie...

It was a great read, I suggest taking a look.  Also, it looks like it's pretty straightforward to switch the mSSD from an acceleration boost drive to a fully standalone drive: 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/660138-hp-dv6t-dv7t-7xxx-series-ivy-bridge-own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssri View Post
Huh? I have yet to find anyone who managed to set the mSSD as a separate drive using the intel rst program. All it does, like he name suggests, is to set which HDD drive the mSSD will act was a cache. Thus, it will cache the files used during boot up rather than act as a separate partition.

"All you have to do is disable acceleration using RST. That turns the mSSD into a stand alone drive. And, of course, the laptop will do this automatically if you remove the main HDD in order to install a new drive."

So, apparently turning off Intel's Rapid Storage Technology utility should put the mSSD back to an independent drive -- sounds interesting.  Of course then, there's the tradeoff:  benefits of the mSSD as a program cache vs. faster boot (and Windows OS) drive.

-Matt

Thant12345
What's DOS?
Views: 1,350
Message 90 of 164

Did you get your y480 with 640M? I got mine with 640M LE. Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors