Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
visaldevadas
Paper Tape
Views: 4,457
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Y50-70 GPU Heat Question

Hi I have a Lenovo Y50-70 with i7 4710HQ, GTX960M 4GB and a 12 GB Memory. Im experiancing extreme framerate drops while gaming.

The CPU temperature is around 80 and never go beyond 85 degree celsius.But the GPU temperature goes upto 95 max and mostly stays around 90. The GPU core clock stays mostly at 540MHz.

I tried fully updating the graphics drivers and Windows. Ive tried this on Windows 8.1 and 10.

The service centre guys tried repasting CPU and GPU and cleaning the fans and heatsink.

The thermal paste they used was Stars DRG 102. There was a slight improvement after repasting but not so much.

They also tried replacing the mother board but that didnt seem to work either.

Before i tried these the temps on both CPU and GPU were as high as 100.

These temps for the GPU are pretty high right?( Totally confused because some say GPUs normaly go that high some say they don't)

What are your temps on y50 70?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 4,361
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 GPU Heat Question

My temp is at 75 degree celsius Max... GPU is max load... But this is after I clean the heatsink and Fan. I also use in the Air-conditioning room at about 25 degree celsius. Last time I'm using on my house (which is about 35 degree celsius) the Temp is about 80-85 degree celsius and that is not even on Max load. The Fan sometime doing a full spin and I'm not even using the GPU.

IIRC, the temp should not go beyond 100 degree celsius or the system will shutdown/turn-off to prevent damage to the laptop. But I never experience this on Y50-70 so IDK how much the system can handle. As far as I know, this system is pretty good at cooling.

There are a lot of ways to decrease the CPU/GPU temp in Laptop. You should try 'Cooling Pad' but I never turn that thing on. I just use it to raise the base of the laptop up to increase the space. This trick decrease some temp but if your cooling pad is good. Turning it on can further decrease the temp to some extend. My old Laptop can decrease about 5 degree when using this trick.

Also, you can try Fanning the Laptop to increase ventilation (after lift the base of the laptop up with either cooling pad or some other thing). I never done it with Y50-70 but my old Laptop can decrease temp to some extend (even better than truning the cooling pad on).

PS. Mostly it is my experience with my old Laptop model that I NEVER cleaning the dust and NEVER replace the thermal paste too... The temp cool down to some extend but never down to it used to before (because I never clean it lol).

visaldevadas
Paper Tape
Views: 4,334
Message 3 of 9

What game were you playing when your gpu temp showed around 80?
I mean 90 is still high right? Even for games like Witcher 3?

Im using a cooling fan. It doesn't help. I'll try room temperature thing and raising the laptop a bit more.

I still don't get why this happens. Its been months. Maybe i should try a new thermal paste?

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 4,329
Message 4 of 9

I'm playing Phantasy Star Online 2 with Max (6) setting and Unlimited FPS. I think it is the only one (I have) that can make my GPU load hit 100%. But the 80 degree thing I'm playing Vindictus with Max setting. The GPU load is about 70-80%. There are no drop in FPS other then when the game is loading.

If you ask me.. I think 75 degree is pretty concern for me... I mean... I can even 'smell' something from my Y50-70. The base around the heatsink is pretty hot. The air venting out is very hot. I almost concern for the screen that maybe damage from hot air blowing out from the heatsink hitting directly into the screen. If possible I'm only play game with Max setting if my Laptop can handle the heat properly.

Last time I clean my Heatsink my thermal paste is still good. I'm just 'paste' it together and close the heatsink without doing anything else.

PS. I only have Witcher 1 and 2 (lol). Still not buy 3 yet...

visaldevadas
Paper Tape
Views: 4,318
Message 5 of 9

Whats your bios version? I read a post on this form about people having issue with 3.03 version of the bios. Im thinking on downgrading it. I'll update you on the results.

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 4,316
Message 6 of 9

I have BIOS version 3.03. I'm update to this version around jan 2016. I didn't notice anything apart from Lenovo Logo at the startup.

Well, if there are gonna be anything else apart from software problem. I think maybe your heatsink have some broken part and the heat did not transfer to fan properly. Because heatsink is the only thing both CPU and GPU use to cooling down the system. But I also doubt they can be broken though...

visaldevadas
Paper Tape
Views: 4,305
Message 7 of 9

It seems like the BIOS version was not the problem. I'll try a better thermal paste i think. Since the motherboard was replaced i don't think it is anything related to that either. This is really frustrating...
visaldevadas
Paper Tape
Views: 4,254
Message 8 of 9

Using a better thermal paste worked. I used Artic Silver 5. The temperature readings are 20 degree celsius lower now and i get 60 fps for almost all games. Though i have to say lenovo has really bad service personells. They tried replacing the board and recovering my hard drive as the first solution (Luckilly i didn't lose many files). Then they thought my adapter could have caused the problem. They didn't even consider the possibility of a bad thermal paste. And finally when they replaced the thermal paste,they applied too much on GPU and too little on CPU. In the end i had to figure out a away to solve the problem myself. They almost wasted my entire month.  Anyway the problem is fixed now. Hope this post helps someone with the same problem.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,236
Message 9 of 9

We all expect that sort of thing to be done to meticulous specification when done by service technician. That is unacceptable service for sure.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors