Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuka85
Paper Tape
Views: 316
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Y50 - 70 Not booting up

Hello,

my Lenovo Y50 - 70 is not booting up easily, i have to try several times to finally boot up, 

when i press the power button, the screen doesnt turn on, the leds just blink like in the following video:

https://goo.gl/photos/1ZYvgxZAhsKSBttN8

and the HDD led blinks at the same as the sound that can be hear from the 20 second of the video (It sounds harder on the left speaker), any idea of what could it be? when i suspend the laptop it wakes up fine, the problem is just when i restart o shut down the computer. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 296
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Y50 - 70 Not booting up

That sounds suspiciously like a hard drive having trouble finding sector 0 on startup, but it is hard to say for sure...but it sounds mechnanical.

What I would do if you can get it booted up, is to immediately backup any critical data on the mechanical HD to either your SSD or external media, and then, and ONLY then, perform a test of your mechanical HD, and plan on replacing it.

I am also going to guess that the reason it resumes fine is because if it is in sleep mode or hibernation, it resumes from either from RAM(sleep), or from the hiberfil.sys (hibernation) file stored on your SSD, but during boot up the BIOS is going to check for bootable devices, and when doing so exposes your mechanical HD's seek issues.

The mechanical HD is shown beneath the left side of the palm rest on page 40 of the manual linked below, so you might put your ear over that area to see if that is were the sound is coming from.

Lenovo Y40-70/Y40-80/ Y50-70/Y50-80/Y50-70 Touch/ Y50-80 Touch Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_y40_50_series_hmm.pdf

Good Luck, 

stuka85
Paper Tape
Views: 272
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Y50 - 70 Not booting up

I only have a ssd, its more an electrical sound that come from the speakers and even can be heard if i have plugged in headphones.

Ive tried the following troubleshoot sequence:

1. remove the SSD drive and try to boot up (Same behavior)
  2. Remove the wifi card and try to boot up (Same behavior)
  3. Remove one ram module and try to boot up (Same behavior)
  4. Remove the other ram module and try to boot up. (Same behavior)
  5. Remove the battery and try to boot up. (Same behavior)
  6. Disconnect the speakers and try to boot up (Same behavior)

so, i don’t know what could it be. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors