Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Administrator
Views: 5,579
Message 21 of 64

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 Screen Flickering

All,

While hardware could be the cause in some cases, Lenovo has also determined that these symptoms may also be caused by downlevel BIOS.  

Please see this tip from Lenovo - it is in the process of being updated to also include recommendations to update the Video driver and to make a setting change.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht104147

Change the Panel Self-Refresh setting to “disable” in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

If you have tried these steps and still experience flickering, plese contact Lenovo Support

Best regards,

Mark

mgrace22
What's DOS?
Views: 5,226
Message 22 of 64

Any chance you could provide more direction to where 'Change the Panel Self-Refresh setting to “disable” in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.' is located? I have scowered the Intel HD Graphic Control Panel and found no such option or selection.

jcar
What's DOS?
Views: 5,192
Message 23 of 64

It should be in the power section. There you go to "On battery" but Lenovo says it's not there in some versions. I couldn't find this setting either.

fjhuerta
Punch Card
Views: 4,555
Message 24 of 64

It's there for the "On Battery" settings. 

FWIW, it fixed the flickering while on battery. While plugged in, the screen still flickers like crazy.

DetoxInfinity
What's DOS?
Views: 4,360
Message 25 of 64

Updated the bios and such, and the screen still flickers. Called support and and still havent recived the box to send back the computer in after a week of waiting. I dont see why a $1000+ computer should have this problem, and lost my trust in lenovo for the fact they havent fixed this yet.

bob7654
Paper Tape
Views: 4,344
Message 26 of 64

Try setting the minimum processor state to 1% in the system energy settings.

fjhuerta
Punch Card
Views: 4,340
Message 27 of 64

Doesn't work. Also,  I think the trick is to set the maximum processor % to 99%.... But it's not a solution. 

Funny thing is,  I saw the new Lenovos today,  identical to ours.  They cost even more,  and it's so laughable to think they have the same defect.  Oh, well,  a fool and his money. 

DetoxInfinity
What's DOS?
Views: 4,334
Message 28 of 64

I love how lenovo says the problem is "solved" even though it is CLEARLY not solved. poeple are still having this problem.

maynardvideo
What's DOS?
Views: 4,291
Message 29 of 64

This has to do with a graphics related issue. I had your EXACT problem. It was fixed by entering the nvidia control panel, selecting manage 3d settings, and then selecting high-performance nvidia processor under global settings. Then restart your computer. It works. It did on mine at least.

Simkyn
Paper Tape
Views: 3,969
Message 30 of 64

So I fixed it on my laptop after many months of frustration, and it turned out to be a connection issue between the display and the laptop board. The fix was rather simple.

First I had to open up the laptop display panel, which was as easy as slipping the file from some finger nail clippers between the plastic panel and the metal backing on the display. Shown here:

WIN_20160906_10_23_38_Pro_edited.jpg

At the bottom left hand side, you'll see an insulated cable coming from the laptop to the display, shown here with blue arrows. This feeds into the display on a flimsy panel that when you open and close the laptop, seems to disturb the way it connects. On mine, I ended up checking the connection and then taping it back in place with electrical tape. This didn't fix the issue permanently at first.

So what I discovered was that if I folded up electrical tape enough and then placed it behind the connection (after getting the connection nice and secure before hand), the support from the electrical tape would keep the connection from wiggling out of the socket and keep the screen from flickering. The folded up electrical tape sits directly behind the red outline shown here:

WIN_20160906_10_24_21_Pro_edited.jpg

I don't know if this helps anyone else out, but after months of frustration, I narrowed it all down to this flimsy connection and after reconnecting it and putting some folded electrical tape to support that flimsy connection behind it, it now has absolutely no flickering.

I just thought I'd post what I did in the hopes that it may help others out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors