Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JanKowalski
Punch Card
Views: 3,456
Message 41 of 64

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 Screen Flickering

Keep in mind that the whole case is grouded (or it should be grounded) by PSU's ground point in PSU connector. So if you are connecting PSU to socket without earth pin, It won't be working.
fjhuerta
Punch Card
Views: 3,426
Message 42 of 64

So, I tried the aluminum foil grounding trick. I took out aluminum foil, wrapped it around the ribbon going to the display, and securely grounded it to two chassis points. I checked continuity, and reassembled what's left of the bottom plate (I've broken it in two parts from repeatedly trying to fix this thing).

This is what I've done so far.

1) Lowering CPU speed.

2) Raising CPU speed.

3) Heating the machine (with a game running in the background).

4) Updating the BIOS.

5) Physically changing the display.

6) Periodically re-seating connectors.

7) Updating / rolling back drivers

8) Disabling the nVidia card via BIOS

9) Uninstalling the nVidia & Intel cards and running Windows 10 with a Microsoft generic video driver.

All this within 10 months.

No help whatsoever from Lenovo (when I tried to have the laptop fixed Lenovo told me my particular issue (flicker) wasn't covered by my warranty, and I'd have to pay $80 just to have it checked. One of the stupidest things any company has ever told me).

Other than uninstalling all drivers, nothing has worked. No, the aluminum foil trick did nothing.

Still the most expensive paperweight I've ever bought.

MBE88
Paper Tape
Views: 3,411
Message 43 of 64

I thought I was one of the few who had this issue but it seems like almost all unlucky buyers of this laptop have this issue. I have tried everthing, reinstall OS, updatd BIOS, tried every possible version of drivers for both Intel and nVidia, tried switching between the two GPU's, even reseating the LCD cable, nothing works. Of course in these kind of situations you do the on thing that you try to avoid, sending it in for repairs....which takes at least two weeks in most cases. So I did that and I reported all of my previous troubleshooting steps and what do you know, Lenovo returns my laptop after refreshing my OS and updating the BIOS. I almost thought that they were joking. I've sent it in for repairs for the 2nd time now and I have made a complaint. 

This is 100% a problem with the hardware, at least nothing that software can resolve, but Lenovo just ignores this fact, despite the fact that they know so many people have the same issue.

Whether the issue gets resolved or not, this is the last time I purchase anything from this company. Lenovo is from now on a company I recommend people to stay away from.

For the rest of you guys, I will keep you updated when I get it back from repairs. 

fjhuerta
Punch Card
Views: 3,387
Message 44 of 64

I'm cross posting this to the relevnt threads.

Since Lenovo is uncapable or simply doesn't want to fix this issue, I've been documenting what's going on with my computer. And I found this.

https://www.google.com.mx/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=intel%20hd4600%20scr...

It seems this is a problem of the Intel HD4600 driver. And strangely enough, some people arrived at the same conclusion I did - by using the Microsft generic driver, the problems go away.

This is NOT a solution though - you lose all hardware acceleration.

BTW - the flickers are back and worse than ever on my laptop.

I'll see if someone else found a solution to our problem, since it's obvious Lenovo's tech support is too stupid to use Google.

ps One other thing I forgot. Everytime I have a flicker, the screen is refreshed and redrawn. Which is pretty weird.

Kookers
Paper Tape
Views: 3,257
Message 45 of 64

I have been having this exact problem for a while now and I'm starting to think that its a combination of hardware and software.  The problem for me was relatively consistent but I noticed that it would really peak if I was doing basic image work, like moving around pictures on PowerPoint.  I tried all the power saving stuff in the Intel HD graphics and updating the BIOS, but still nothing seemed to be working.  Last night the problem got pretty bad to the point of not being able to use the screen so today I tried what Simkyn suggested on page 3 of this forum and took the panel out, unplugged it and re plugged it in while securing the crap out of it with electrical tape.  It seems to have worked for me now but it may take some time for the problem to come back so I'll repost to this if I notice the problem arise again.  A word of caution if you try unplugging the panel. Be careful! If you take the monitor off and unplug/replug in the monitor on the screen, the cord is flimsy and the connector can easily be bent.  There is a sticker that covers the plug too so be careful.  I found this YouTube video really helpful for taking the plastic bezel off and even replacing the screen if you choose to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqVuCKew1E

That taking care of the hardware aspect of it, I tried to see if the Intel chip could still be at fault.  I loaded up a PowerPoint which had lots of photos in it per slide and just tried changing between the slides as fast as I could.  The problem still came up but noticeably less.  Only flickering once or twice as I quickly changed between a dark photo to a lighter photo.  I then went into the Intel Graphics Control Panel, then to the display settings, then at the bottom selected "Maintain Aspect ratio" and clicked "Override Application Settings". That seemed to reduce the problem even further.

Again I only tried all of this today and this problem sometimes comes right back after a few days of work so I will update with replies to this comment if I run into problems.  But as of now, the flickering is 99% gone except for under heavy load.  I will test with a couple of movies and see if that triggers the problem.

I will note too that I don't seem to run into this problem while running games.  This, I am assuming, to be due to the dedicated graphics taking over and not the Intel Graphics.

If anyone else has a better solution, feel free to post cus this is one hell of an annoying problem.

nhd68
Paper Tape
Views: 3,263
Message 46 of 64

HI,
Have you ever tried to connect to a PC screen, in case it works I will take off my laptop screen and at least will be able to use the machine as a simple desktop komputer...
regards,
Kookers
Paper Tape
Views: 3,243
Message 47 of 64

I dual monitor mine with a 24" TV screen all the time and the flickering never effects the other monitor so that should work
Chr1989
Paper Tape
Views: 3,198
Message 48 of 64

it's tied to the power ribbon (a cable that connects the motherboard to the monitor) a good way to test this issue is to connect your notebook to an external monitor. If both monitors flicker, then it's a graphical problem with the graphics driver (meaning you're going to need to buy a new computer) and if it's just the notebook and not the external monitor then you have the most common problem with the Y50-70s. In fact, the best you can do is send it back to Lenovo for repairs

nhd68
Paper Tape
Views: 3,145
Message 49 of 64

Strange thing - my laptop 50-70 flickers ONLY when not connected to power adapter! Is it some

bug for the too much complicated power scheme, I don't know but it is a fact!

fjhuerta
Punch Card
Views: 2,998
Message 50 of 64

Correct. It only flickered while plugged in.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors