cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CommonCustomer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,889
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Y50-70 UHD touch - persistent black screen on startup after Win10 upgrade

Lenovo Y50-70 UHD touch - persistent black screen on startup after Win10 upgrade

When the problem started:
The problem started after upgrading to windows 10 and the installing all the recommended Lenovo Windows 10 drivers (obtained from the Lenovo/downloads)

Problem description:
The problem can be observed (consistently) when restarting the computer. When restarting, the lenovo logo screen appears, this is quickly followed by a blank screen. The screen appears to be actively displaying eventhough nothing can be seen (not even a mouse cursor is visible). - As if the screen is showing a black screen (though its a different color to when the machine is turned off).

Workaround Solution 1:
1) When presented with the screen I press [windows]+[Enter] to activate the windows narrator.
2) I press tab untill i can navigate to the shutdown button, shut down the machine (without actually seeing anything on screen)
3) wait for 1-5min (This is IMPORTANT, if you do not wait you will end up with the same black screen)
4) Windows loads the login screen after lenovo loading logo - machine starts as if nothing was wrong

Workaround Solution 2:
1) When presented with the screen I press the power button to put the machine to sleep
3) wait for 1-5min (This is IMPORTANT, if you do not wait you will end up with the same black screen)
3) press the power button again to bring machine out of sleep mode - Windows login screen becomes visible

Workaround Solution 3:
1) Reset the machine to windows 8/8.1 and do not upgrade to windows 10 ! (the problem only seem to occur with windows 10)

FYI, this problem happens despite having reset the machine to factory default, and installing windows 10 upgrade + windows 10 drivers.

CompTIA
802.11n
Views: 4,860
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 UHD touch - persistent black screen on startup after Win10 upgrade

Hi CommonCustomer,

Welcome to Lenovo Community, 

The below fix is recommended by one of the Microsoft insider members you can try it: 

This feature only works when you do a SHUTDOWN and then Boot.

It doesn't effect a RESTART.

To turn it off or on...

Go to Control panel...Power Options, and select Choose What the Power Buttons Do on the left.

Then select Change Settings That are Currently Unavailable near the top center of screen...

Lower down on the window, uncheck Fast Startup.

Regards,

**If the issue has been resolved please, mark me as solution provided to help others find the
solution easily and click the Kudos.**

CommonCustomer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,820
Message 3 of 4

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 UHD touch - persistent black screen on startup after Win10 upgrade

Here is an update to the above mentioned proble

Update:

The problem has now been resolved. The machine works soomthly with windows 10.

I'm not experiencing any graphics problems anymore.

Solution:

1) Do a clean install of Windows 8/8.1 (using the factory reset as part of Lenovo Recovery)

2) Without installing anything else, run all the windows updates

3) Install windows 10

4) Install all the drivers recommended by Windows 10 (incluing flashing the BIOS)

5) Update Windows 10 (all the recommended updates - Note one of the updates will be a Nvidia driver update)

The above are the steps that I took to resolve this problem. I'm convinced that updating to the latest windows 10 updates will fix these graphics issues (since one of the updates is a Nvidia driver update as part of windows update). In case where the problem persists, I would recommend to follow all the 5 steps mentioned in full.

Conclusion

The graphics problems mentioned are NOT related to hardware, rather its all about the drivers. This is deduced because after updating all the recommended updates from Windows 10 and updating the drivers from Lenovo, the problem was resolved.

Maiden
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,945
Message 4 of 4

im excited to try this resolution - quick question - how do i access BIOS or my USB installation media when I cant get past the black screen on startup?

novo button does nothing

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors