Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haemming
Paper Tape
Views: 2,719
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y50-70 USB 3.0 ports stopped working suddenly

the usb 3.0 stopped was working fine but last week both stopped working. i have checked drivers, but that dosent seem to be the problem. they can charge my phone but dosent decect it or anything else. the usb 2.0 port works fine as usual

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,705
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 USB 3.0 ports stopped working suddenly

hi haemming,

Welcome to the Forums.

Can you try the following:

1. Boot into the BIOS by continuously tapping F2 on boot-up. Once in the BIOS, hit F9 to load factory default settings then hit F10 to save and exit (this reloads the hardware configuration of the machine). Once inside Windows, uninstall the USB 3,0 driver (Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers) then scan for hardware changes.

When the USB device comes back, try to test your phone or any USB device (e.g., USB mouse, flashdrive, etc.) and observe.

2. If same problem, try to power down the machine > press the OneKey Recovery button > select System Recovery and test if the mouse will work on the USB 3.0 port

- Sample image

Alternatively, you can also hold the Shift key then restart Windows and observe if the USB mouse will work on the Windows 8 Advanced Options.

If none of the above method works then I recommend you contact the lenovo helpdesk and report your findings as the USB 3.0 port is definitely malfunctioning and requires service.

Support phone list

Let me know how it goes..

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

haemming
Paper Tape
Views: 2,684
Message 3 of 5

So i tried the sulotions but none of them seems to work. the thing i dont understand is that the usb 3 ports stopped working at the same time and that they charge phone/wireless mouse perfectly fine, they just dont detect anything.

I also visited the

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-y-series-laptops/y50-70-noteboo...

and saw that there were no usb 3 drivers for either windows 8 or windows 10, even though the pc came with windows 8. i upgraded to windows 10 a few months ago without any issues. but now they seemed to suddenly stop detecting devices.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,660
Message 4 of 5

hi,

The USB 3.0 drivers (starting from Windows 8 and later) are already built-in to the OS (inbox drivers).

If you look into the Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers, do you see a yellow exclamation mark on Intel xHCI USB 3.0?

Other things that you can try:

1. Open Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Intel xHCI USB 3.0 (right click --> Update driver software) --> Browse then navigate to the  C:\Windows\winsx then hit OK (this will re-install the USB 3.0 drivers).

2. Restore the system before the problem even begin by doing a System Restore

3. (Optional) Re-install the OS via the OneKey Recovery button or by doing a Refresh.

If same problem then I'd recommend you contact the lenovo helpdesk and report your findings as you likely need to send the unit for service.

Support phone list

Let me know If one of the above methods works for you. 

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 1,581
Message 5 of 5

I'm not sure that Y50-70 have a discharge protection from USB killer of not. But the problem seem like the port is killed by USB killer. Normally if the USB port is not protected from discharge by USB killer, the whole Y50-70 system will unuseable as the motherboard is dead (also, most of the chip will dead).

If the Y50-70 have protection the motherboard itself will be fine but the port will not recognize anything other then 5V charge. Because the internal of the port is fried. They can be any other problem. But if before the problem you have plug-in some device to both USB 3.0 port and they stop working. There are high chance that those device are USB killer. They also can be from any USB device that short circuit and fried USB port.

This is an 'if' the problem is from hardware. Normally, software/driver should not have any problem as it is generic driver from microsoft. Other then the Y50-70 suddenly cannot detect USB controller because... well, hardware problem.

PS. FYI, my Y50-70 USB 3.0 device name is "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)" and have the driver date of about july 2016.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors