Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thrife
Paper Tape
Views: 38,792
Message 1 of 28

Lenovo Y50-70 black screen at random times

Hi everbody i've got a very strange Problem with my Notebook. Here the Specs (copy-pasted from amazon 'cause I'm lazy):

Lenovo Y50-70 39,6 cm(15,6 Zoll UHD IPS)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ, 3,5 GHz
12GB RAM
Hybrid SSHD 1TB (8GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M/4GB

Since i've bought it (about 1 1/2 months ago) after I've installed Windows 8.1 and upgraded it to 10 I sometimes get a black screen, one without the cursor like it occured to many after upgrading to w10, restarting always helped and everything was shiny.

The thing is that my screen does not turn off, it's just black but still running (visible by the slight light it's still casting). It started to happen very rare, perhaps after a week or so but today I get the problem constantly with different patterns:

via normal Boot:

- Starting the PC -> black screen

- Starting the PC -> "LENOVO" shows up -> black screen

- Starting the PC -> "LENOVO" shows up -> Windows is loading -> black screen

- Starting the PC -> "LENOVO" shows up -> Windows is loading -> Welcome screen -> black screen

- Starting the PC -> "LENOVO" shows up -> Windows is loading -> Welcome screen -> -> login -> black screen

- Starting the PC -> "LENOVO" shows up -> Windows is loading -> Welcome screen -> -> login -> after a random time: you guessed it - black screen

The list repeated itself several times today which drove me quite crazy then and now, also restart has no power anymore...

The same happens during the advanced Boot (the small button left to the Power Button), even when i've requested a Recovery Startup. Only time it runs smoothly is during the Safe Mode.

I've already tried several things like deleting the Intel Graphics, which granted me access to the normal system mode. There I've updated BIOS to 3.0.3. Now I'm testing the Nvidia Driver (reinstalling etc). Interestingly I've observed an ominous "PnP-Screen (standard)" which had a yellow flag next to it in the device manager, eventhough no second Screen is plugged in to the machine. Maybe that's the one annoying me for severa hours today.

Also I'm plugged to my TV right now which helps me to at least get a picture. Also during this state there are 2 "pnp-Screens (standard)" shown in the device manager, none of them with the flag..

Do you guys know anything about this problem, has anyone stumbled across this too and has THE TIPP to save me and my sanity?

eron2894
Blue Screen Again
Views: 38,597
Message 2 of 28

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 black screen at random times

My screen also blacks out sometimes at random times, restart or close and open it up again helps. Do you also get those flashes/blinks? Unfortunatelly, I don't know how to fix that.

Thrife
Paper Tape
Views: 38,594
Message 3 of 28

Restart/close+open helped but does not anymore.. i've also reinstalled both drivers (nvidia to the newest and intel down to the one on the support-page and again up to the newest by microsoft) but nothing helped.. :/
Highlighted
eron2894
Blue Screen Again
Views: 38,577
Message 4 of 28

That's not drivers related problem I think, and if it does not help anymore, you should just send it to lenovo.

Thrife
Paper Tape
Views: 38,567
Message 5 of 28

@eron2894 wrote:

That's not drivers related problem I think, and if it does not help anymore, you should just send it to lenovo.

I also don't think that it's a hardwareproblem. During boot the Lenovo-tag and the Windows loading screen shows like it should, also the Save Mode works fine too on the display... I'll try to reset the OS completely soon, just need my external 2TB-HDD back from a friend.

eron2894
Blue Screen Again
Views: 38,559
Message 6 of 28

Installing new OS might help, but I wouldn't count on it to fix the problem. From what I've read here, it is probably some power supply to screen issue or bad LCD cable, might be completely wrong though.

Thrife
Paper Tape
Views: 38,577
Message 7 of 28

Kay, Gentlemen.

After calling amazon (seller) and Lenovo and getting "help" from a friend i've decided to return back to win8.1. I've reinstalled drivers, settled everything back the way i needed it, saved our day by finding that our Starbound-Universe still exists and! No black screens anymore. It seems that this device still has some trouble with Microsofts newest OS so yeah, I'll wait... even though I liked 10... :/

Case can be seen as Solved and thanks for everyone who where with me on this Quest. Cheers on you guys!

BartoszK
What's DOS?
Views: 38,291
Message 8 of 28

I have same problem with Lenovo y50-70 with Nvidia GTX 960M. Screen are geting black in random times, no matter what we are doing on laptop, i.e. in games, watching videos, browsing internet. Sometimes black horizontal lines are appearing for a moment. Sometimes some pixels are getting black.

I`ve tried to update windows (8.1), Nvidia drivers, Intel drivers, Bios. I think that i`ve done everything what i can do at home, without using proffesional service tools.

I`ve searched forums and many people are writing about this problem. No one found any working solution. i mean working for longer than two weeks...

I have strange feeling that this issue is related to the construction of laptop. Air ventilation exhaust is under the bottom part of the screen and its heating it. Sometimes bottom part of screen is really hot. I think that it can cause that cable connectors are getiing loose and loosing connection. 

I`m getting very angry, cause we have two Lenovo laptops, first i`ve bought over year ago, it is y510p and it works perfectly, i`ve never had any problems with it. New one, y50-70, bought two months ago is a very big disapointment. It wasn`t cheap and it have so big problem. 
And problem are getting bigger, couse nowe we live in another country, that we bought this laptop. So if we will need to send it to service or return it to shop, it will cost a lot ;/

And i will really apreciate if someone from Lenovo will tell me where is the source of this problem and what should i do to make it work perfectly like my y510p?

okmh18
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 38,256
Message 9 of 28

I have the same issue with y5070 gtx 960m version

I'm also disappointed 

any idea ?

Elie1
What's DOS?
Views: 37,897
Message 10 of 28

Hi another victim here this was happening from the first day i purchased the laptop ii have done everything suggested in this thread and nothing fixed it. This started happening the from the first day i got the laptop within the first couple of hours of factory fresh use. No need for me to return the laptop nor do i want to go through the hassle of it. Please just let us know the fix weather its hardware or software ill take care of it i just want it fixed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors