cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dick10
Blue Screen Again
Views: 704
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y50-70 laptop gives completely unresponsive black screen when opening certain websites.

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop and I have a really weird and frustrating problem. My laptop runs absolutely fine except when I take certain actions that include: Visiting a few specific website, going full screen on vlc and youtube, sometimes when running a game like secondlife. Then my screen turns absolutely blank/black with no cursor or anthing else visible. The laptop still runs absolutely fine in the background, eg responds to keystrokes, makes appropriate sounds and respond to other input but absolutely nothing will bring back the display to normal. I have to either put the system to sleep and wake up right after or restart it and then it runs completely fine until the next random event that triggers this happens.

What's completely baffling to me is that visiting the site www.msi.com and www.firestormviewer.org will almost certainly give me a black screen immediately while the other causing factors are a bit random. I've tried the following:

1. Install the drivers giving on lenovo's website as well as the latest ones for both my intel as well as nvidia gpu.

2. Reinstalled windows 10 several times, even asked a lenovo engineer to install a copy of the windows with all the lenovo drivers that come with the pc originally.

3. Stopped windows update because it was installing newer versions of the drivers automatically.

4. Tried various browsers, msi.com still almost always gives me black screen on IE, edge and chrome.

5. I changed the motherboard and my hard drive around two months ago and that's when the problem started. I've had the engineer check with a new screen and he says that when the hardware test shows the black screen to test, it doesnt come back from that even in the new screen.

Another thing is that it happens rarely when the windows has been installed fresh, but within a few hours as I install a few softwares that are must, steam, bitdefender, IDM, etc. it starts happening more frequently to the point that it will always happen immediately when I try to open msi.com.

Hopefully someone here can help me out!

Update: I've noticed that the black screen on some websites only happens when my browser is maximized but not when it is restored or fullscreen. Ive also checked with various DPI scaling settings and have consistently observed this.

Highlighted
ignus
Paper Tape
Views: 506
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 laptop gives completely unresponsive black screen when opening certain websites.

I have exactly the same issue. Random black screen triggered by various events, like:

• visiting certain websites (msi.com for example is instant black screen, but there are others), mostly on full screen but on some sites always (happens with all browsers, FF, IE, Chrome, Edge)
  • maximizing certain windows, like having console windows open and bringing them up to maximized from minimized state (happens around 10-20% of the time)

I also have Linux Mint installed apart from Windows 10, and it happens there too, though less frequently! So I assume this is some hardware issue.

It is extremely frustrating, and not something you expect from a high-end "premium" laptop! My colleagues were mocking me for not getting the ASUS and instead settling for "a lenovo". I won't make that mistake next time...

Homin
Token Ring
Views: 485
Message 3 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 laptop gives completely unresponsive black screen when opening certain websites.

I wouldn't call this product (Y50-70) "Premium". It's nothing near "High-End". If you have research a little bit it is nearly a high-'Mid-tier' Gaming Laptop even in the time it was Lunch. If you want "High-End" gaming Laptop. Lenovo is not for you. I think it has a lot of cut-off to get a laptop into budget and require more experience to handle compare to other Laptop.

Also, my Y-50-70 can visit MSI.com without any problem. Mostly the problem with Y50-70 graphic are because the user not even know what they're doing. Someone even use Custom BIOS and said they don't get any output from the Laptop screen because they 'Disable' Intel 4600... And yes, they don't talk about it in their post but many experienced user can saw thought it.

But yeah... IDK about other but I have 'No script' install on my Laptop. Not to mention MSI.com have 'Black Background'. I visited the website and it was normal (in maximize mode). Also, if you have Intel 4600 as intel graphic in y50-70 and using a very old graphic drivers for it (ie. lenovo stock driver, or intel newest graphic driver from intel website). It has a very fatal error that will occur if some program use the Intel graphic. The Intel graphic will not responding and reset itself. result in flashing of image/black screen for a few second. It mostly happen to me when I played games. However it can happen when you use too much graphic too.

The solution is very simple, update the driver by using windows update. The intel 4600 from windows update is working perfectly fine for me. Also, using genuine products/programs can greatly lower the risk of having problem with Y50-70.

ignus
Paper Tape
Views: 419
Message 4 of 5

@Dick10

I've read somewhere that someone with a similar issue (screen flickering/striping randomly) could fix his issue by reconnecting the display connector on the motherboard. So I did the same (disconnect/reconnect) and so far no black screen on the sites mentioned. It needs more time of course to fully verify, but it's might worth a try.

The display connector is in the upper right corner of the motherboard, you have to pull up towards yourself by the black plastic flap.

ignus
Paper Tape
Views: 328
Message 5 of 5

Fix confirmed, no black screen ever since!

So the fix is to disconnect and reconnect the display connector on the motherboard.

Look for guides on youtube how to remove the back of the laptop. It needs some wiggling the first time.

Then on the upper right of the motherboard, there is a connector with a black plastic flap on it, which goes to the display. Pull it by the flap towards yourself, then plug it back in snugly.

Hope that helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors