Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul2i
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,617
Message 1 of 25

Lenovo Y50-70 shuts off without warning

I have my Lenovo Y50-70 for a little more than a year. Six days ago I upgraded it to Windows 10 and I also installed the drivers and the newest version of the BIOS from the Lenovo website. 

Then, in these past six days, the laptop shot off suddenly three times, without any warning, and by making a pop sound. I can then restart it and it works after that but this is very worrying. 

When it shot off I was doing light stuff, browsing, have a couple of documents open. I also play games on it but nothing very heavy. 

I looked it up and I see that others have had a similar problem but I don't find any solution. If possible, I would preffer not to send it back to Lenovo. 

Does any of you know if a solution has been found to this problem?

Thank you. 

Paul 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,578
Message 2 of 25

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 shuts off without warning

Hi Paul,

When the issue happened, will you need to press again the power button or computer will reboot itself? Because if it shutting down and you have to press the power button, most likely it is overheating. What I can suggest is to monitor your usage and download this application, HWMonitor

How to check for thermal issues with HWMONITOR (Over heating)

Idle Mode
Utilization : 0 - 30%
Temperature : 30C to 50C (Normal) - 51C to 60C (Over heating)

Normal Usage
Utilization : 20 - 40%
Temperature : 50C to 60C (Normal) - 61C to 70C (Over heating)

Heavy Usage
Utilization : 50% above
Temperature : 60C to 80C (Normal) - 81C and above

If machine reaches 100C, unit will shutdown by itself to protect the CPU.

Note: Desktops tend to be cooler than Laptops and AIOs. Ambient temperature may also affect minimum temperature of the machine. The below post is just a guide and is not a standard.

See more here

paul2i
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,569
Message 3 of 25

Hello RapidFury, 

Thank you. The laptop does not reboot itself, I need to press again the power button. I will check the temperature. At the same time I have some doubts that this is the issue. When the laptop shot down I was doing very light work, browsing the internet with a couple of tabs open, nothing heavy, and the laptop was not warm. 

In the last year I have used it in a much heavier ways e.g. playing games, and that didn't make it to shot down. 

The problem only started to happen after I installed Windows 10 (clean install) and the new drivers, including a new version of the BIOS, from the Lenovo website. 

I will get back on this regarding the temperatures but I don't know when I should check them because the shuts off really unexpectadly. 

Best, 

P

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,566
Message 4 of 25

Hi Paul,

Yes that was also what I said the before, but it turns out that it is really overheating. I do recommend for you to run the program just right after you turn the computer on. While browsing the web maybe after 30mins - 1 hour, take a screenshot of the HWMonitor, then after that, just let it sit on idle mode, then take again a screenshot of it on idle mode. That way you can monitor the temperature of your computer.

Hope these things will help you trying to figure out what the issue is.

Priyansh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,532
Message 5 of 25

I'm experiencing the same problem. I purchased the Lenovo y50 70 with 8 gigs ram, 4710HQ and it came with windows 10 pre installed. The laptop shuts down itself when doing something and it is completely random. I have recently had this problem and contacted lenovo and they have helped quite a lot but they haven't been able to find any hardware problem. it is most definitely windows 10 which is causing this issue. have you found any solution yet?
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,530
Message 6 of 25

Hi Priyanish,

If you will need to press the button again to turn on the computer, most of the time it is overheating. I do suggest for you to monitor the usage using the HWMonitor which I posted above. Have you tried checking the temperature of your computer yet?

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,525
Message 7 of 25

Check your Event Logs. Crtical details may have a clue if its a driver etc. Overheating normally doesn't get logged since it just goes off.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Priyansh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,512
Message 8 of 25

Hi rapid. Thanks for answering

it is not an overheating problem since i dont play games on it. Its a new model i purchased only weeks ago. I downloaded the heat monitoring app and it says 53 degrees max , and 49 48.. Etc on others, not even close to 100 which causes the shut down. As for the event logs, i checked them and the critical error refers to kernel power 41 (system restart not clean) etc.. Still don't know what the problem is but i doubt it is driver related, it is most probably windows 10 which is not fully compatible with lenovo yet. im not sure though. So far this has happened more than 10 times and the lenovo service center even clean installed windows 10 on it , but still the problem persists. The LSC service also gave a thumbs up on all hardware components so i dont think this problem is hardware related. Any help would be really appreciated as i dont want the replacement product to have the same issues .. And then ill wonder why i even brought this :/

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,502
Message 9 of 25

Its new, get it replaced or something different. 

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Priyansh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,458
Message 10 of 25

I need to know whether it is a software or a hardware issue first. Theres no point in replacing if the hardware is proper and i have the same problem with the replaced product too, it wont make any sense. it is most definitely a driver failure OR a hardware issue. I think i need to give this to the service center to figure out the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors