cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VMS17
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 729
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Y50 Graphic card not working (Error 43)

Hello

I have had a Lenovo Y50 for almost four years now and all of a sudden, the graphics card (nvidia geforce gtx 860m) has stopped working. In the device manager, it appears as not working and in properties it says  it's an error 43. It was also quite sudden, as in one day I'm playing without noticing any kind of issues, next day it just wont work. Now, I've done some research of my own and already tryed updaiting the drivers as well as uninstalling and re-installing them. I have used window's hardware troubleshooter. I have oppened the case, cleaned it up (not much to clean, since I do this regularly) and made sure that the fans were working.

Nothing has worked so far.

So now I come to you, in case you know of any other possible solution to my problem or if I should just accept that my laptop's gaming days are over.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 686
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Y50 Graphic card not working (Error 43)

Hi VMS17! 

Welcome to the Community Forums!

It can be a hardware or a driver error with the error you are getting with the graphics card. 

If the error code still appears after reinstalling the drivers, it can be a hardware failure also.

You can use the Lenovo Vantage app first to run a system diagnostic scan and let us check if there are any hardware errors on it.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

VMS17
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 655
Message 3 of 10

Ok, so I've installed Lenovo Vantage and run a hardware check and everything turned ot possitive

The thing is. I don't think it even checks the GPU, as the tests are grouped under processor, hard drive, motherboard, PCI express, Storage and Wireless.

Needless to say, it didn't find any issues but my GPU is still not working.

So, any other Ideas?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 647
Message 4 of 10

Hello VMS17,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Forums. Just to clarify, you mentioned you have opened the case and cleaned it up. Does that involved removing the ram and putting them back in? Also try removing the CMOS (if removable) and put it back in. Then reset BIOS settings to default. If still doesn't work. Try backing up all your files and do a system recovery: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht077084. Check if it works after system recovery if it doesn't try downloading the updates from here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-y-series-laptops/y50-70-note.... If still doesn't work you can try the video card on another system to isolate the problem. If doesn't work on another system then GPU needs to go. 

Let us know. Hassen

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

VMS17
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 615
Message 5 of 10

Yes, I removed the Ram and put it back in. The CMOS is not removable.

I tried the updates on your second link. When installing the GPU driver I got a BSOD (Error code: Watchdog Violation) and had to revert to a previous state because it just kept happening shortly after loging in. Any Idea why?

Also, since this is a laptop, testing the GPU in another computer is kind of a sticky proposition.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 599
Message 6 of 10

Sorry to hear that. Could you try to perform a Power Drain:

1. Unplug the AC adapter
2. Hold the Power button down for at least 10 sec.
3. Reconnect the AC adapter and try turning it ON.

After that, go to the Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver, put a check in the box if it will ask you to delete the drivers, the laptop will restart and check if the issue remains.

Let us know how it goes.

VMS17
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 485
Message 7 of 10

Well, nothing sugested here seems to be working...

The most I get is for it to work for a couple minutes followed by a bluescreen (NCP Watchdog Violation) so I need to disable the GPU if I want to make any use of my laptop.

I've even tried reinstalling windows and then intalling the drivers manually.

I'm running out of ideas

TonyBadwhite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 265
Message 8 of 10

hey VMS17,

forget about the suggestion u got. I have the 100% solution for this, had the same issue 2weeks ago (after 4years). The problem is not a windows or software related. It is the gpu chip.

Im sure that it wasnt the bumps under the chip in my case. It was the soldering points on the gpu.

Unfortunately its not easy. You need to do a proper reflow on the gpu chip, forget about the reballing, a good reflow will work as good as a reballing. I know people are telling that the Nvidia chip is dying (the bumps under the chip). Still i dont believe that, atleast not in my case.

I did the reflow with a lot of flux and a hotair gun at 380° celsius but the chip shouldnt get hotter than 250° celsius for no longer than 30seconds. However u need some experience in soldering.

I have a overclocked cpu & gpu on my y50 70 & done a lot of modifacations to keep the temperature low. Take a look to the picture (temps are without a cooling pad. With cooling pad i get 8°celsius lower temps, room temperature 19).

It is running better than before. I had higher temps before i got the issue with code 43.

After the reflow the temps droped down too (on the gpu). I believe that happened because i have overclocked to high couple days after i bought this notebook. I had a driver failure issue back in the days when i oc the memory of the gpu. I got the driver failure issue after this overclocking randomly (once a month sometimes after 3 months). I believe the gpu just got to hot back in the days, since i didnt do any modifications to keep the temps low the first 2 months. Guess the high temps back in days made week soldering point.

How ever its solved for now. Will tell you if the gpu gonna fail. But so far no issues. The gpu shouldnt run above 70° celsius and cpu 80° celsius.

My oc Y50 70 Specs:

CPU:             @3.8Ghz

GPU Core:   @1.4Ghz
GPU Mem:   @1.5 Ghz (3Ghz)

VMS17
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 260
Message 9 of 10

Well, **bleep**.

Thanks for the contribution TonyBadwhite, but I'm afraid if that's the issue I'm pretty much boned, since I lack both the know-how and the tools required for your sugested solution. You said it is not easy and I'd need some practice -which I do not have-, so I wouldn't feel confortable trying to do that myself.

That said, should I take the laptop to a PC repair house? Could they fix that issue? I don't want to expend much money on this, but I guess It'd be better than buying a new gaming PC.

TonyBadwhite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 255
Message 10 of 10

A pc repair house should definitly solve this for sure. You can ask only for a proper reflow on the gpu which shouldnt be as expensive as a reballing.

I dont know how much they charge in your location for a reflow but it shouldnt be that expensive.

More important are the temps after a proper reflow. You definitly need to keep the temps below 70 celsius on the gpu on full load.

did u remove the dust filter on your y50 70 and using a cooling pad?. (thats the simplest way to drop down the temps)

You can ask for a gpu change too, if you really want to replace the gpu you can buy one on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-NVIDIA-GTX-860M-N15P-GX-B-A2-GK104-620-KCD-A2-Graphic-Chipset-DC-...Smiley Tongue

and let the repair store replace it, if it is not that expensive.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors